Does anyone know if Metrolinx has discussed how much it will cost the Province to run the ARL if and when the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch LRT and maybe the Bloor-Danforth subway are connected to the airport. For many, maybe even most Torontonians, taking the TTC will be much faster than going all the way south to Union. And for only $3.00 (15% of what Metrolinx wants to charge), Metolinx would clearly have no chance at competing with the TTC. Of course the ARL link could still serve people who live far outside of the city by providing a transfer to GO Raii, but the TTC would certainly steal a significant chunk of ridership from Metrolinx's ARL. Especially since the TTC has 100% fare integration across our system.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Metrolinx has discussed how much it will cost the Province to run the ARL if and when the Eglinton Crosstown, Finch LRT and maybe the Bloor-Danforth subway are connected to the airport. For many, maybe even most Torontonians, taking the TTC will be much faster than going all the way south to Union. And for only $3.00 (15% of what Metrolinx wants to charge), Metolinx would clearly have no chance at competing with the TTC. Of course the ARL link could still serve people who live far outside of the city by providing a transfer to GO Raii, but the TTC would certainly steal a significant chunk of ridership from Metrolinx's ARL. Especially since the TTC has 100% fare integration across our system.

I think Metrolink's priority is not necessarily Torontonians. I see this as a project directed to tourists, businesspeople, fancy people living downtown, and everyone who would rather not go all the way to Kipling and then take a crowded bus with all their luggage. This project's intention is to rid the highways of so many taxis and limos while at the same time bringing the 'A-list' straight downtown.

Last edited:

Based on this, I would say it is in the best interest of Metrolinx to make the TTC lines as poor as possible. One way of doing this is to have a relatively slow, in-median LRT going along Eglinton. If Eglington would be grade-separated through Etobicoke, it would be much faster and more attractive to the most traveler.

The reality is that Eglinton LRT to YYZ and the DRL would be higher priorities so this Finch line would likely not be built within 25 years. It also would have a smaller effect than Eglinton.

Based on this, I would say it is in the best interest of Metrolinx to make the TTC lines as poor as possible. One way of doing this is to have a relatively slow, in-median LRT going along Eglinton. If Eglington would be grade-separated through Etobicoke, it would be much faster and more attractive to the most traveler.

The reality is that Eglinton LRT to YYZ and the DRL would be higher priorities so this Finch line would likely not be built within 25 years. It also would have a smaller effect than Eglinton.

Not to mention the tens of thousands of people living in Toronto who work at the airport or the employment lands surrounding it in Mississauga, who currently are forced to drive in heavy traffic on Highway 401 or Gardiner Expressway. These people vastly outnumber the tiny number of people who are willing to pay high prices for a train from the airport to downtown, a few thousand at most. Building a grade separated elevated subway along the Richview Corridor would drastically increase speed and capacity for minimal extra cost.

Trolling through old versions of the website at Archive.org I think you can download most of it from:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040612.../Index.aspx?Sid=Node7/Node7.3/Node7.3.5&Tpl=1

The old Master Plan webpage was http://www.gtaa.com/Index.aspx?Sid=Node7/Node7.3/Node7.3.5&Tpl=1

Thanks for the link. The ultimate terminal plan I mentioned earlier is shown on Page 3 of the Passenger Terminal chapter: http://web.archive.org/web/20050520100346/http://gtaa.com/documents/news/master_plan_chapter4.pdf

Because all passengers going to Pearson want the same things and originate from the same points? Remember the original Blue 22 concept did not even stop at Bloor - it had no interest in uptown catchments and stops uptown were added at the behest of local agitation. Also - who is the prospective passenger who will be choosing between Finch West and ARL?

In any case, Pearson will be in all likelihood north of 40 million passengers if not approaching design max 55 million by the time Metrolinx and TTC gets enough dribbles of cash from the Province to build all the specified lines. My concern is that much of the growth in passenger numbers will be from 905 and 519 communities, for whom few plans are being made.

Because all passengers going to Pearson want the same things and originate from the same points? Remember the original Blue 22 concept did not even stop at Bloor - it had no interest in uptown catchments and stops uptown were added at the behest of local agitation. Also - who is the prospective passenger who will be choosing between Finch West and ARL?
I get your point, really, I do. But easy: the thousands of international students and professors who do work at York University. Also, northern York Region via the Spadina subway. :p

I get your point, really, I do. But easy: the thousands of international students and professors who do work at York University. Also, northern York Region via the Spadina subway.
Even if the Eglinton line was extended to Pearson - wouldn't people be more likely to simply take the existing GO Transit express bus route 40 that runs hourly from Pearson along Highway 407? Presumably they will add a stop Highway 407 station when it opens. Current travel time is 20 minutes from Pearson to Richmond Hill Centre. So about 15 minutes from Pearson to the Spadina subway.

At those speeds, I wouldn't be surprised if once the Mississauga Transitway is open, that we'll see people in Mississauga, taking buses along the Mississauga Transitway to Pearson, and then using Pearson as transit hub and changing to the express bus to Highway 407 station.

Personally, working near Union station, I can see myself occasionally taking the ARL to Pearson and then changing to a bus running along the Transitway for business trips where I'm heading for a destination along that corridor.

In any case, Pearson will be in all likelihood north of 40 million passengers if not approaching design max 55 million by the time Metrolinx and TTC gets enough dribbles of cash from the Province to build all the specified lines. My concern is that much of the growth in passenger numbers will be from 905 and 519 communities, for whom few plans are being made.

I am pretty sure the original Blue 22 most certainly did stop at Bloor....the stop added later was Weston.

Last edited:
I am under the impression that pier G is in fact under construction, or if not, at least the prep work has been done by demolishing T2 in order to make way for it. Per the 2008 Master plan projected demand for pier G would be in 2014.

Yeah I distinctly remember talk that they were finally demolishing Terminal 2 and its parking garage.

But did they ever start building Pier G? I don't know... Someone on here probably knows though!

But did they ever start building Pier G?

No. Expansion has been deferred until necessary.

The number of aircraft movements are Pearson hasn't been increasing very quickly (about 1.5% per year) as aircraft are getting larger and YTZ is taking a fair amount of traffic for the city.

Also, the 2008 recession had not occured when the last master plan was published ( http://www.torontopearson.com/en/gtaa/master-plan/ )

Pier G construction boils down to when Air Canada starts expanding again, unless American Airlines suddenly joins Star Alliance (plans are to pull US Airways out of Star Alliance) and wants their operations moved to Terminal 1.

Last edited:
Interestingly, they've gone and built a temporary pier where Pier G is slated to be. The pier serves small jets and turboprops serving US destinations.

This is the only photo I've managed to find of it:
11-06-27H-0061a_xgaplus.jpg

It's cramped and not very nice.

Back