I'd have thought the name "Malton" would have been a dead giveway! :)

5? It's only 2.5 km to Terminal 2. And it's about 300 metres from the end of the platform to the corner of the airport property (at Airport Road and Derry).

It just sounds so crazy to me at this moment.
Torontonians have been complaining (and mocked) for years for not having easy transit access between Pearson and downtown, but we have this train station 3km from the airport terminal, but nobody cares to make a direct connection (a rail spur or just some buses). Instead, everyone is anticipating this expensive premium UPE.

Even the airport itself could have some shuttle buses going to Malton station. Many airport hotel shuttles travel more than 10km in other cities (I took one in Tokyo which is like 15km away).

Last edited:
Torontonians have been complaining (and mocked) for years for not having easy transit access between Pearson and downtown, but we have this train station 3km from the airport terminal, but nobody cares to make a direct connection (a rail spur or just some buses). Instead, everyone is anticipating this expensive premium UPE.

Even the airport itself could have some shuttle buses going to Malton station. Many airport hotel shuttles travel more than 10km in other cities (I took one in Tokyo which is like 15km away).

It is not, at all, a uniquely Toronto phenom.......ever looked at Dorval station in Montreal (which, like our Malton station used to share its name with the nearby airport until bumped in favour of a former PM)...it is very close to the airport.....in fact all the roads/ramps leading to the airport there were recently reconstructed (totally change in airport access) and no one thought of (or supported) including a fixed link to that station from the airport as part of that (even though, as I understand, a station for such a fixed link was roughed in at the airport by the new hotel at the end of the terminal).

Isn't this part of what we've been discussing since Prime Minister Chretien announced funding for the UP?

Last edited:
Can I ask Nfitz and ksun to fix their last couple of posts with regards to the HTML coding. There seem to be small errors that end up attributing to me things I have not said.

Which would have left an 800 metre gap between Spadina and Avenue, in a very busy spot. This was wider than was generally used on this line, in much lower density areas.

I assume that Spadina North (Spadina line section) would also likely have shifted east a few blocks when St. George shifts to Avenue, perhaps to St. George and Lowther with no connection to South Spadina.

Either way, what we have is built and it's not overbuilt for the usage.

Which would have left an 800 metre gap between Spadina and Avenue, in a very busy spot. This was wider than was generally used on this line, in much lower density areas.

800m is completely acceptable. It is about the same distance between St Laurent and Berri-Quam, or Peel and Concordia in Montreal, both dense downtown lines.
In Manhattan, Grand central to 33 st station is about 800 meters too on the green line.

I don't know why Torontonians believe anything more than 400 meters is too far to walk to a subway station.

Back on topic:

Metrolinx has come out with a statement on their Twitter feed that implies that the single-ride premium fare may not be the only fare.

https://twitter.com/Metrolinx/status/501754228638253056

Thanks for all the interest and feedback on @UPexpress this morning. We've been listening.

Variable pricing (families, students, seniors, groups, etc.) is being developed for @UPexpress.

.@UPexpress will make a final decision on the business model, which will include fare pricing, in late 2014.

800m is completely acceptable. It is about the same distance between St Laurent and Berri-Quam, or Peel and Concordia in Montreal, both dense downtown lines.
In Manhattan, Grand central to 33 st station is about 800 meters too on the green line.

I don't know why Torontonians believe anything more than 400 meters is too far to walk to a subway station.

Ease off on the Torontonian-hating. Not all Torontonians think the same way, or have the same opinions.

800m is completely acceptable.
Sigh ... that's not the point though is it. The point was where the stations would be if not related old loop. If they had never built the line up University, then they would have not in the 1960s suddenly be applying different station spacing standards than they were already doing. You can't point out the placement of the stations was related to the loop, and then criticize what the alternate spacing would be if there wasn't the loop on a completely different set of standards.

It is about the same distance between St Laurent and Berri-Quam, or Peel and Concordia in Montreal, both dense downtown lines.
Quam? Concordia? Tabernouche ... I've never seen anyone refer to Metro Guy (sadly called Guy-Concordia these days) without using Guy before!

It's about 550 metres from the Guy to Peel. How is that comparable to 800 metres?

And it's only 450 metres from Saint-Laurent to Berri (actually it's only 350 metres from the eastern end of the platform at Saint-Laurent to the western end of the Green platform at Berri - however the exit from Saint-Laurent is only from the western side of the station, so I'm measuring between the entrances on de Maisonnneuve).

So what are you then - a Montrealer? I don't know why (whatever you are) considerably exaggerates very easy to measure distances. Though somehow I suspect I've spent far more time riding the Metro in Montreal that you have ... to suggest that their downtown spacing is much wider than our is beyond absurd.

The fare will be around 30 dollars imo. They have to make the money back from this somehow.
I think it will, because they are stuck in this have to break even mindset. And this is not transit mindset.

But I think the game has to change, and they have to work on the basis that capital costs for GTTA should be paid upfront in lump sum, not added onto fares. And that this won't operate on a break-even basis ... but should get a similar subsidy to other GO operations.

But that's not going to happen, until they come out with the $30 fare ... and all hell breaks loose, and the Premier has to step in and fix it.

And they aren't going to announce the fares until after the municipal elections - as they know the kind of firestorm that will create - we can see the hints of it even now.

A lot of people have been complaining about the fares, even though they aren't announced yet.

But let's say it's $25-$30. That's still half of cab fare, and way faster when there's traffic.

There are a huge amount of single people living in condos without cars downtown or near Bloor West where UP Express would be the fastest & cheapest option for them. Of course, if there's group/family fares, then even better.

Back