since when wifi and comfortable seats constitute "premium" service? Isn't Canada supposed to be a wealthy country?

You were lied to when you came here. We're a poor country. We don't even have electronic fare payment in our transit system. The "world class" phrase is just a trick to get people like you to move here, but it's not real. Welcome!!

You were lied to when you came here. We're a poor country. We don't even have electronic fare payment in our transit system. The "world class" phrase is just a trick to get people like you to move here, but it's not real. Welcome!!

Can you please not air our dirty laundry, ehlow? I thought you were more considerate.

your ego is too fragile and easily bruised. I was mocking metrolinx' advertisement while you interpret it as a insult to the city and canada. Don't know what to say, I guess "Sorry"?

Last edited:
your ego is too fragile and easily bruised. I was mocking metrolinx' advertisement while you interpret it as a insult to the city and canada. Don't know what to say, I guess "Sorry"?

:) I was just kidding around ksun. Don't worry, neither my ego or feelings are hurt.

The most telling line in the entire article is "Metrolinx does not feel this should be considered public transit". I have been chastised on this thread for saying that this kind of service is not public transit. Guess I was right the whole time but Metrolinx certainly doesn't think it is. This also brings up another point.............if it is not public transit as Metrolinx says then why does it have anything to do with Metrolinx in the first place?

I thought Metrolinx's mandate was to coordinate public transit in Greater Toronto/Hamilton and if so then why are they even involved in the running of UPX?

The most telling line in the entire article is "Metrolinx does not feel this should be considered public transit". I have been chastised on this thread for saying that this kind of service is not public transit. Guess I was right the whole time but Metrolinx certainly doesn't think it is. This also brings up another point.............if it is not public transit as Metrolinx says then why does it have anything to do with Metrolinx in the first place?

I thought Metrolinx's mandate was to coordinate public transit in Greater Toronto/Hamilton and if so then why are they even involved in the running of UPX?

I find two things interesting about the article having re-read it.

1. On your point, in an article chock full of quotes, the comment that it is not public transit is not a quote....I wonder if it is an artful paraphrasing to fit the article.

2. Whenever there is an article about someone from the 905/suburbs complaining about transit options, the comments in the Star have a decent amount of "oh, stop your whining and move closer to where you work".....I don't think there was one of those as the subject of the article complained that he will continue with his one and half hour commute from Richmond and Sherbourne to the Airport.

I know there's a quote out there that the Metrolinx spokeswoman Anne-Marie Atkins explicitly said that the UP Express is "not public transit". That's pretty damning. But I can't find it. The closest I could find is:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ain-be-too-pricey-1+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"But according to Metrolinx, business travellers are the target demographic. "It is primarily targeted to business executives," said Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Atkins Tuesday"

I interpret this as saying UP Express is not public transit.

Let's all just be honest - Metrolinx is running this thing only because fat cats back in the day (like David Collenette) rammed this thing through for their own reasons because Metrolinx even existed. And those reasons are not to provide an airport link that the non-fat cats could afford. Metrolinx got stuck with this white elephant.

It would be a little more palatable if Metrolinx was just honest about that.

Last edited:
I know there's a quote out there that the Metrolinx spokeswoman Anne-Marie Atkins explicitly said that the UP Express is "not public transit". That's pretty damning. But I can't find it. The closest I could find is:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ain-be-too-pricey-1+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"But according to Metrolinx, business travellers are the target demographic. "It is primarily targeted to business executives," said Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Atkins Tuesday"

Let's all just be honest - Metrolinx is running this thing only because fat cats back in the day (like David Collenette) rammed this thing through for their own reasons because Metrolinx even existed. And those reasons are not to provide an airport link that the non-fat cats could afford. Metrolinx got stuck with this white elephant.

Yep..like the whole "fare will be between $20-$30" thing....my google skills seem unable to find a quote where any ML official/spokesperson said "this is not public transit".....just a whole lot of people who, like you, are choosing to interpret other comments as meaning that.

The problem with the whole this is a train for "fat cats" is that buses have been running between the airport and dt for 21 years.....their fares are at the high end of this mythical $20-$30 range....at one time their passenger load got as high as 400,000 people.

That is 400,000 people that were willing to pay a very high fare (relative to TTC) to get downtown direct from the airport......were they "fat cats" or just regular folk, tourists, etc? Because recapturing that market, on top of the business traveller (which as someone else pointed out is not all bank chairmen it is wide swath of the public who travel within the scope of their jobs) and this thing is well on its way to being a success.

The current Airport Express bus from downtown, see link, has the following fare:

FARES

Valid until October 31, 2014
Regular Fares for Toronto Airport Express
One Ride Scheduled Service$27.95
Two Ride Scheduled Service$42.00
Multi-Ride Scheduled Service$21.00/ticket (purchase between 3 – 9 tickets)
10-Ride Scheduled Service*$175.00
One-Ride Student Scheduled Service$25.00
One-Ride Senior Scheduled Service$25.00
Kids Fares for Toronto Airport Express
Children 11 and under travel free with a paying adult
Group Fares for Toronto Airport Express
Special services are available for groups traveling using Airport Express.
Taxes are included for all listed prices
*When purchasing a 10-Ride, please be advised that the pass may be used by more than one person, however, passengers must be travelling together.

The UP Express should be lower.

The current Airport Express bus from downtown, see link, has the following fare:

The UP Express should be lower.

A train, not subject to traffic jams should be lower than a bus....is that what you are saying?

EDIT....and I think it will be anyway....I would think you will see a fare of around $22/$25 for a single ride.

Last edited:

Yep..like the whole "fare will be between $20-$30" thing....my google skills seem unable to find a quote where any ML official/spokesperson said "this is not public transit".....just a whole lot of people who, like you, are choosing to interpret other comments as meaning that.

The problem with the whole this is a train for "fat cats" is that buses have been running between the airport and dt for 21 years.....their fares are at the high end of this mythical $20-$30 range....at one time their passenger load got as high as 400,000 people.

That is 400,000 people that were willing to pay a very high fare (relative to TTC) to get downtown direct from the airport......were they "fat cats" or just regular folk, tourists, etc? Because recapturing that market, on top of the business traveller (which as someone else pointed out is not all bank chairmen it is wide swath of the public who travel within the scope of their jobs) and this thing is well on its way to being a success.

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...xpress_train_affordable_councillor_urges.html

However, Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said the airport link was not meant to be like transit. Aimed at time-pressed business executives, the trip will take 25 minutes, with trains departing every 15 minutes.

Back