Yes I walked by it on the Skywalk after the Jays game yesterday. You could take a peek at some of the overhead signage. There was a lovely smell of fresh cut wood coming from the site.

The elevators at Terminal 1 have had some low budget mods made to the labels, presumably modifying "LINK" to "Trains".

IMG_20150419_175853.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_175853.jpg
    IMG_20150419_175853.jpg
    867.1 KB · Views: 593
I get all that...but if via can sell a beer on train in ontario....surely UPe could too if they wanted to.......the suggestion was there was a rule against it....there are rules around it...but not against it.

They may not want to (given the short length of their trips) but that is more an operational matter than a legal one.

Mill Street is apparently the "official craft beer of the UPX" so I'd assume they'd let you drink it on it, since it's being sold in the lounge. Maybe they just won't let you drink other brands of beer.

Here's a few iPhone snap I just grabbed on my lunch...

Sorry about the hyperlinks, but my Flickr photos won't link directly anymore (for some strange reason).

thanks...clicked through those....am a bit concerned by the crocodile problem but maybe they can sort that out before launch. ;)

Mill Street is apparently the "official craft beer of the UPX" so I'd assume they'd let you drink it on it, since it's being sold in the lounge. Maybe they just won't let you drink other brands of beer.
Doubtful, but I'm curious if there's a loophole in that.

likely a temporary kind?
Probably a temporary mod until the permanent sign is obtained.
Let's hope confused tourists don't accidentally take the PEARSON express to attempt to switch between "Pearson" Terminal 1 and "Pearson" Terminal 3, and attempt to use LINK to be the airport-rail-"link" to Union. :p

(in foreign language, after arriving at Union, going to Platform 25, running into GOtrain staff)
Is this boarding for KLM flight #25?
(Waving KLM airplane ticket. GO train whooshes by)

OK, just kidding there.
I hope there's really, really clear wayfinding easily understood by non-English-speakers...

Last edited:
Why don't they use signs for trains and buses instead of the GO sign or do they think everyone knows what GO stands for?
I agree that GO needs to solve this eventually, perhaps with a train icon under the GO logo, for better association.

Beautiful station, though!

Why don't they use signs for trains and buses instead of the GO sign or do they think everyone knows what GO stands for?

To me the sign is crystal clear. It states fairly elegantly through the use of GO, TTC and VIA logos to the traveller that ALL GO (train/bus), TTC (subway/streetcar/bus) and VIA (lounge/train) services are ahead.

Could you imagine the hue and cry on UT if there were all kinds of icons of the actual modes of transit on that small sign! Sheesh... can't please everyone I suppose.

To me the sign is crystal clear. It states fairly elegantly through the use of GO, TTC and VIA logos to the traveller that ALL GO (train/bus), TTC (subway/streetcar/bus) and VIA (lounge/train) services are ahead.

Could you imagine the hue and cry on UT if there were all kinds of icons of the actual modes of transit on that small sign! Sheesh... can't please everyone I suppose.

I think it's a terrible reality where our transit systems are so keen on marketing their own particular identity as opposed to simply marketing what they do. Most places around the world hardly ever have transit agency logos on wayfinding signage, they simply state the particular mode of transportation. Oddly enough aside from actual fare-integration, wayfinding and other marketing materials would go a long way to creating the notion of a regional transit system (even if they are just a bunch of different agencies playing their own role).

The city/province needs to standardize wayfinding eventually, for both GO-TTC interchanges too.

One idea is just a simple internationally-recognized train logo, with the brand underneath. This is intuitive.

Pictogram icons at top, brand logos (in slightly smaller size than train pictogram icon) at bottom.

PHP:
TRAIN - TRAIN - TRAIN - TAXI - INFO
 {GO}   {TTC}   {VIA}

Standardize this for all stations in GTHA. VIA, TTC, GO, LRT. Make it a city or provincial directive, as a requirement similar in league to hospital signage and disabled signage. Require all 15-min-and-better frequency interconnecting dedicated-ROW rail services on all rapid transit maps. (e.g. force TTC to show all GO RER routes on all subway maps). For many years, I never knew where GO went, until I began using it. Same for a lot of Torontoians, "What's GO?". Common sense. Standardized pictogram graphic priority followed by brand.

We regulate our street signage (stop sign, yield, parking, offramps, interchanges); why can't we regulate absolute minimum requirements for wayfinding between TTC and GO!??!?! I'm not even asking for as much regulation as on the roads, but at least a little *light* guaranteed-minimum-standard universal-language signage and wayfinding regulation. (...common sense stuff like a simple train pictogram, fer chrissakes...)

With two huge high-frequency all-day two-way rapid transit rail networks invading Toronto's transit user awareness within ten years, this is becoming important. Yesterday, we only had TTC as a practical high-frequency all-day rail provider. Tomorrow, we have both GO and TTC providing high-frequency bidirectional rail services. How are we going to interchange the networks better with better wayfinding, otherwise?

Last edited:

Back