2. Schedule

Getting back on topic, I realize we've debated, discussed and covered this before, but it's now further back in the thread: given that UP Express launches on June 6th and there was an announcement about GO train service improvements to Kitchener and to Bramalea at some point, are we going to see GO train service improvements in the meantime on the Georgetown (Kitchener) South Corridor (any portion) after June 6th and up to the "new" service launch date? I'm having trouble keeping track if there are any specifics or timelines or if we're still at the speculating stage.

Apologies if it's been covered and I've missed it.

It doesn't look like there will be any major schedule changes on the Kitchener Line until September.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I seldom ever hear the horn at a station, unless someone is being very stupid.

Indeed, excessive use of the horn or any use when not necessary is already prohibited. Also most level crossing in urban area's have prohibited the use of the horn which was originally mandated by regulations. But that was done because the horn is many orders of magnitude louder than the bell.

As for the bell, I doubt is going to disappear anytime soon even if they implemented some sort of advance announcement system or a lighting system being used on the platforms. Anyone who thinks otherwise is only fooling themselves especially after the fatality at union station. The general trend now is to have multiple layers of protection and not a reduction in protection. Aside from that, those systems are still not as safe as having the sound originate from the source of the danger itself. The best that you can hope for is that maybe the volume can be turned down or perhaps a two level system could be implemented. The train horn is actually equipped with a two level system - normal & emergency). The higher volume(current levels) could be used by trains not stopping at a station and the lower volume for those that do.

What is the timeframe for the third track under the 401? Has that even started? Or did I miss something completely.
You mean the 4th track, as there are 3 there now.

16184156507_6e6d5426a9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying that! Great photo!

Actually I meant third track. The answer then, is that I missed that completely. :)

For some reason I thought there was a spot still that was bottlenecked to 2 tracks between Union and the Pearson spur.

16184156507_6e6d5426a9_b.jpg

It's going to be interesting to see how they put the fourth track in, without tearing up all that new ditching and sewer work that is visible from the end of the platform eastward to the bridge. For that matter, it will be interesting to see what happens to the platform access when the fourth track boxes everything in on the north side.

- Paul

It's going to be interesting to see how they put the fourth track in, without tearing up all that new ditching and sewer work that is visible from the end of the platform eastward to the bridge. For that matter, it will be interesting to see what happens to the platform access when the fourth track boxes everything in on the north side.

- Paul
The track on the north side of the platform will become track 1. A switch will be cut in to service the the area currently being service with the track in place. You are going to have to dig up the ditch and the embankment to get the new track 1 in.

As for servicing the platform once track 1 is in place, its my understanding a new north platform will be built on the west side of Kipling and where the new parking lot is being built. A tunnel will have to be built to the platform between track 1 & 2 and where the run about track is for CN.

May 17 photos are on line:

Weston UPX
17790177149_558d8e7878_b.jpg

Does this platform take the distinction of the first high-platform on the entire GO train network?

I guess the ones at Union/Bloor count too, but since they are screen-door types they just don't have that same look and feel to me.

Does this platform take the distinction of the first high-platform on the entire GO train network?

I guess the ones at Union/Bloor count too, but since they are screen-door types they just don't have that same look and feel to me.

All four will go into service at the same time so they all would share that distinction, though if you went by construction dates the platforms at Union & Pearson were completed first. Whats more important and what people haven't really realized yet is that the whole notion that we can't have high level platforms on any tracks shared with freight service without either gauntlet tracks, retractable platform extenders, or something else, has quite obviously been disproven.

Whats more important and what people haven't really realized yet is that the whole notion that we can't have high level platforms on any tracks shared with freight service without either gauntlet tracks, retractable platform extenders, or something else, has quite obviously been disproven.

I'm not sure if I agree with you on that one:

the section from Pearson->Union is Metrolinx track, and while there are allowances for freight to use the track if they need to, it very, very rarely happens anymore.

Ontop of that, there are now at least 3 tracks through this area, and only two of the three tracks will have high platforms, whether at Bloor/Union or Weston.

So, they could have gotten around this provision by having at least one track at all times free of high platforms.

So I really don't think this proves anything really..

I'm not sure if I agree with you on that one:

the section from Pearson->Union is Metrolinx track, and while there are allowances for freight to use the track if they need to, it very, very rarely happens anymore.

Ontop of that, there are now at least 3 tracks through this area, and only two of the three tracks will have high platforms, whether at Bloor/Union or Weston.

So, they could have gotten around this provision by having at least one track at all times free of high platforms.

So I really don't think this proves anything really..

The whole issue with freight trains was the clearance to the platforms. UPX simply addresses this issue by having the platforms set back as required, and covering that extra gap with a lip extending the floor out at the doors.

Whats more important and what people haven't really realized yet is that the whole notion that we can't have high level platforms on any tracks shared with freight service without either gauntlet tracks, retractable platform extenders, or something else, has quite obviously been disproven.

I'll bite...

Yeah! What's with that? I thought high platforms would be within the dynamic envelope of freight trains? Do the UP Express trains have extended foot boards (or whatever they're called) on the sides or something?

Back