I've been saying for a while now this will be the iconic view greeting visitors. Anyone that has rode the Kitchener line frequently will know how epic it is coming round that section and seeing the downtown pan into view.

Views will continue to get blocked as the noise walls get installed. Not sure about that specific section though.

Last edited:
Views will continue to get blocked as the noise walls get installed. Not sure about that specific section though.

Condos sprouting up here would be a bigger problem, as you can see is already happening. Doubt there would be an appetite to 'protect the viewscape'.

Condos sprouting up here would be a bigger problem, as you can see is already happening. Doubt there would be an appetite to 'protect the viewscape'.

The "Community Interviews" promo video leads off with two people discussing how awesome the view will be coming into the city. So Metrolinx/UP have an appetite to at least market the viewscape, though maybe not preserve it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSWJbOscLw0

Our report on the ride from Union to Pearson yesterday is now up here on our front page.

The report includes a 5-minute long video of highlights from the ride. I am trying to upload a 20-minute long mostly drivers'-eye-view video, but I keep getting crashes. When I get it working, I will post it here. In the meantime, enjoy the highlights video in the front page story!

Thanks for putting that video together. A few observations/questions:

- That bell really does clang a LOT. Was it clanging going over Black Creek? Why?
- Why does it have to go seemingly so slow into the stations? Is this the same speed as GO trains can approach stations?
- I'm still not fully understanding why they're running a mix of consists? Why aren't all trains three cars instead of some being only two?
- I find it interesting they're not using pre-recorded announcements. You'd think they'd want to in order to make sure it's bilingual.

The view from Bloor St. now.
14326792721040.jpg

Attachments

• 14326792721040.jpg
    14326792721040.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 980
Bloor will not be ready for the 6th from the above photo which I expected based on what I was seeing on site. It will not be accessibly as elevator not install from the looks of it.

Trains arriving at screen doors will be slower so they can line up door with doors the first time and not over shoot the location. The link at the airport does the same thing.

They are running all 3 version setup as it will happen at various times during operation hours. I don't think all the C cars are here yet as well to do full 5 3 car trains. 3001-3 are the only ones I have seen so far.

If I remember correctly, the bell was rang at Union for departure and arrival.

No comment on the other issues.

- That bell really does clang a LOT. Was it clanging going over Black Creek? Why?

Because the foreman asked for it.
If you listen to what is being said over the standby channel(radio) in the cab you can hear him telling crews that they need to apply the bell and whistle when passing through his limits. And if you look closely you can actually see workers on the side of the tracks at Black Creek.

It's a safety measure designed to save lives - as many track workers have been killed on the job over the years. There's little chance they will ever rescind that safety measure, especially not because some people are annoyed by the noise.

- Why does it have to go seemingly so slow into the stations? Is this the same speed as GO trains can approach stations?

The track is speed restricted at Union station(applies to all trains - UPX, VIA, GO) and the airport because its stub ended. Basically its the same as Oshawa & Aldershot and if you've ever taken a GO train to one of those stations you'll have noticed how slow they crawl into the platforms. As for Bloor & Weston crews are in training and its very normal at that stage to approach platforms cautiously but aside from that its unlikely that they'll ever be rushing into the platforms as there's plenty of time in the schedule to make it to the airport in 25mins. Plus they want the smoothest ride possible to keep all the business executives on board happy.

- I find it interesting they're not using pre-recorded announcements. You'd think they'd want to in order to make sure it's bilingual.

No idea why they didn't go that route. I can only surmise that they wanted to make it a more "personal" ride or something. But I sure do feel sorry for the GSR's who have to say that on every single run all day long.

I was wondering why the bell was clanging on the approach to the airport station (i.e. no grade crossing and there are platform doors).

Required by Transport Canada regulations when passing a station platform. But I agree it is somewhat superfluous and I can see them possibly making an exception to that requirement in the future if enough people complain about it edit* this is basically how the anti-whistle rule came out for at grade crossings. That would only apply to stations with platform doors - Union & Pearson. Weston & Bloor are open platforms.

Last edited:

Back