Thanks to the others for the answers.

The video has had to be temporarily disabled. An agreement that Metrolinx has with Bombardier prohibits the recording of cab audio. Once I have had time I reedit the video without sound, I will put it back up. Hoping to get a 20-minute version up too, as I mentioned before.

I've been noticing that, 9/10 times, GO and UPX excitedly toot their horns at each other when passing by. Is that TC mandated? I'm not sure the residents like that too much either.

I've been noticing that, 9/10 times, GO and UPX excitedly toot their horns at each other when passing by. Is that TC mandated? I'm not sure the residents like that too much either.
Surely this is a very good idea in a construction zone, so a worker doesn't walk out after the trains has passed and ...

Surely this is a very good idea in a construction zone, so a worker doesn't walk out after the trains has passed and ...

True, good point.

So things will be quieter when the workers are gone. Which still won't be for a while based on drum's comments, despite the June 6 start date.

The track is speed restricted at Union station(applies to all trains - UPX, VIA, GO) and the airport because its stub ended. Basically its the same as Oshawa & Aldershot and if you've ever taken a GO train to one of those stations you'll have noticed how slow they crawl into the platforms. As for Bloor & Weston crews are in training and its very normal at that stage to approach platforms cautiously but aside from that its unlikely that they'll ever be rushing into the platforms as there's plenty of time in the schedule to make it to the airport in 25mins. Plus they want the smoothest ride possible to keep all the business executives on board happy.

On top of all that....the PTC system ends at Mile 0.25. At that same location, the speed limit on the spur drops from 40mph to 20mph, and then further to 15mph at the crossovers because of their geometry. The speed limit at the station is 10mph regardless of direction.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

May 24 Photos are on line

They pour new concrete at the entrance to the new south (east) platform
17984305989_53aeb220a8_b.jpg

UPX platform to be used starting June 6??
17984243019_dd2312a2e7_b.jpg

New Sound Wall Between Shoppers & Freshico
17549894263_bcc768ae17_B.jpg

Waiting for Temporary to be remove so the other haft can be built. Accessibility platform retaining walls have been pour since I last saw it.
17984293299_9c2f820ceb_b.jpg

18171576391_445f240365_b.jpg

Marker for 12 car GO train for UPX and Platform 3
17578896614_3204d26b66_b.jpg

18015313149_ed37177080_b.jpg

17549855133_5ec634ffae_b.jpg

Am I seeing platform doors in those photos?
Only Pearson & Union have doors. Bloor will have enclosure set back from the edge

I'll be taking a preview trip on the UP Express to Pearson and back on Monday (my work is very, very tangentially related to this project), so I'll try to get some decent photos.

Only Pearson & Union have doors. Bloor will have enclosure set back from the edge

That's what I thought. I was looking at this on my phone and and didn't notice that you mixed in a couple of Union Station shots.

If anyone was thinking that they would pay for a ride on UP "just to try it out" even if they did not have a trip to the airport planned....hold off until June 14....it will be free and it sounds like you can grab a free hot dog too!

UPfreeride.JPG

Attachments

• UPfreeride.JPG
    UPfreeride.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 937
Cool! I wonder which stations the train will operate between, if it's only picking up/dropping off at Bloor and Weston. Likely just between those two and not the whole route? Obviously didn't extend the free run to Union or Pearson because they'd be flooded with demand. Sounds like they want to keep this on the down-low for just people local in the area.

Nice.. hopefully there won't be extremely long lines, but I'm guessing there will be. Especially given the price to ride it regularly lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they travelled the whole route, but only picked up and dropped off at Bloor and Weston. And possibly not the regular station platforms either.

Cool! I wonder which stations the train will operate between, if it's only picking up/dropping off at Bloor and Weston. Likely just between those two and not the whole route? Obviously didn't extend the free run to Union or Pearson because they'd be flooded with demand. Sounds like they want to keep this on the down-low for just people local in the area.

They do want it to focus on people local to those two stations....as a thank you for their patience during the long construction. Not sure about the down-low....they announced it via an email to all that had subscribed to updates about the GTS project....that's how I got it.

As for service, I would suspect that people at those two stations will simply be handed a return ticket in the direction of their choice to and from either Pearson or Union from the stations they board at.

Back