Where were your parents going?

Your last point is the one I find the most puzzling. You state the obvious -- this is a service designed to get someone from Pearson to Union, or vice versa. If you're grabbing the train to Niagara/Kingston or the GO to Hamilton/Oshawa, it might or might not be better to grab a bus or taxi from Pearson. If you're going to a hotel at Bloor & Avenue Road, you might make the switch at Bloor. But, those are not the core demographic. The core demographic is 'folks going to downtown Toronto.'
They were heading to Little Portugal on Dundas. So that would mean switching at Bloor to the Dundas car. I'm not finding their original business case material, but the catchment area for the original pitch absolutely included travellers going to places other than a few blocks away from Union. I'm not sure where you define core to start or end, but it could be useful to travellers that can make a one-stop connection to either Union or Bloor/Dundas with the TTC

They were heading to Little Portugal on Dundas. So that would mean switching at Bloor to the Dundas car. I'm not finding their original business case material, but the catchment area for the original pitch absolutely included travellers going to places other than a few blocks away from Union. I'm not sure where you define core to start or end, but it could be useful to travellers that can make a one-stop connection to either Union or Bloor/Dundas with the TTC

Then I have to take exception to your earlier price comparison that said

My parents recently visited Toronto. Had they taken the UPX, they would have spent ($19 UPX fare + $6 Presto card + $3 TTC fare) x 2 = $56. Instead, the flat rate taxi fare is $45 (plus a dollar or two in fuel surcharge),

Paying by Presto and getting off at Bloor does not cost $19 each. ;)

It would have been nice if Pacific Western still had their downtown hotel shuttle. I wonder what the case would be for Metrolinx to do something like that.

It would have been nice if Pacific Western still had their downtown hotel shuttle. I wonder what the case would be for Metrolinx to do something like that.

Why leave it to Metrolinx? I'm sure hotels will eventually run their own shuttles to UPX, especially if they are offering free tickets to visitors.

If it wasn't for UPX, PW might still be doing it, so no need for Metrolinx to do so.

Why leave it to Metrolinx? I'm sure hotels will eventually run their own shuttles to UPX, especially if they are offering free tickets to visitors.

There are no noticeable hotels near the Weston Station. Maybe bed-n-breakfasts, but nothing close-by.

The most likely users of the Union Pearson Express would be business people heading toward a hotel, using their expense accounts. The most likely target would be a hotel near one of the stations on the UPX, which leaves out Weston and Bloor. Are there any plans for a hotel or hotels near Weston and/or Bloor?

The most likely users of the Union Pearson Express would be business people heading toward a hotel, using their expense accounts. The most likely target would be a hotel near one of the stations on the UPX, which leaves out Weston and Bloor. Are there any plans for a hotel or hotels near Weston and/or Bloor?

An intrepid traveller heading to the Old Mill for a wedding or any of the Yorkville-ish hotels (InterContinental, Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Marriott) might change at Bloor, but probably not before the +15 is built. What's the point of taking the train so you're not driving through the snow in a taxi, then subjecting yourself to two cold walks to transfer to your hotel?

Back