I always find it amusing when hard-core transit fans gush over transit wraps. They are awful for the passengers inside the vehicles.

I'm very neutral on the subject personally. I think streetcar wraps on the Flexity Outlook streetcars are aesthetically terrible, but wraps on GO Trains really don't impact the passenger experience, in my personal experience. I ride the GO on a daily basis in the summer, and I'm a big outside-looker, and I find that after a few minutes I adjust and really don't notice my car is wrapped. I've never ridden a wrapped UP Express, so I really can't comment on the passenger experience there, but if it is similar to the GO, I wouldn't expect it to be too awful. A little extra revenue never hurts, right? Also, I an understand how different people could have different viewpoints on this subject :)

I hate hate HATE wraps that cover the windows. It's not too bad looking out the window on the opposite side of the train, but I can't focus when it's the window next to me. On buses, that can make it difficult to see upcoming stops.

Saw that wrapped train this morning as it pulled out of Bloor. Wasn't sure what it was at first.

... but wraps on GO Trains really don't impact the passenger experience, in my personal experience. I ride the GO on a daily basis in the summer, and I'm a big outside-looker, and I find that after a few minutes I adjust and really don't notice my car is wrapped.
I hate it, it's more difficult to see outside in the daytime, and it's virtually impossible at night. I'm not sure how you are managing to adjust to it in the dark.

And then there are those stickers they put inside sometimes - completely blocking the lower part of the window, so kids can't see outside at all. I just pull those off myself.

I hate it, it's more difficult to see outside in the daytime, and it's virtually impossible at night. I'm not sure how you are managing to adjust to it in the dark.

And then there are those stickers they put inside sometimes - completely blocking the lower part of the window, so kids can't see outside at all. I just pull those off myself.

Yes, those inside stickers are absolutely terrible. I myself have "fixed my view" a few times as well.

Went on a bus tour to NYC a few years back. The bus was wrapped, promoting the institution that the trip was connected with. By the time we had reached the border, all aboard were quite sick of the wrap over the windows. A senior person on the bus phoned back to home office and said "The wrap got damaged, so I am having it peeled off". There were plenty of helping hands.

Happily, the graphic still looked not too bad with the windows exposed. I don't believe the top of the house ever heard the full story.

- Paul

I'm not relly big on the ad warps tah cover windows with but I like what the TTC has done when they warp the flexs the leave a good chunk of the window without the adwarp on it so you can still see. The upper part of it has the added befit of being a sun shade.

CIBC already dominates UP Express with its branding. I'm not sure what the wrap accomplishes, anyway, or if there's any financial gain for UPX/Metrolinx (and if there is, it isn't much compared to the overall budget).

It's very overbearing. They may as well call it the "UP Express, brought to you by CIBC."

Revisit to UPStairs..... wow!

I womdered if Mill St had remorse renting the space as it was fairly quiet, but perhaps not anymore --
It is more crowded these days. Must be their advertising campaign, and the Blue Jays game. Seems to be less sterile now with extra decor added.

Nearly full.

IMG_3282.JPG

IMG_3261.JPG
IMG_3279.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3261.JPG
    IMG_3261.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG_3279.JPG
    IMG_3279.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 284
  • IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 283
That place is such a rip off. They serve draught beer in tiny 14 oz glasses. Most places use the standard 20 oz pint glass. The Mill St had a butterscotch taste to it, which means they need to clean the old sludge out of the beer lines.

lowered fares too soon and too much?

I expect it's easier to crank them up 10% per year for 5 to 10 years at a subsidy than it might have been to get high ridership at the initially launched fare level.

That said, I still think they could get rid of half the staff if they installed fare gates at Union and Pearson (require tap/scan out; mix of Presto and bar-code). Remove fare checking staff from trains and have a single staff at each station for customer assistance as they normally have anyway.

"A Star analysis of 2016-2017 data provided by Metrolinx suggests that the UPX per ride subsidy in the most recent fiscal year was much lower than that, but was still high, and could approach $20 per ride."

I want to know how the Liberals plan to get us out of this hole, and how low they can get the subsidy. It's disgraceful that we're throwing away $20 per trip on the UPX while GTHA commuters are facing slow and unreliable commutes due to the Liberals unwavering refusal to reverse Harris-era transit cuts.

Back