This is something that very few persons realize the details relevant:
upload_2017-9-1_22-23-52.png

Even the tenants of the two towers are barred from the shopping mall after 11PM until 8AM. The doors from the towers require a fob to open to the mall, and that fob lock access is disabled once the mall is locked off. Tenants then have to enter and exit from doors on the outside of the building, or from the parking spaces below to a fob required elevator. The two towers are separate addresses with separate fob key access.

There would be no intention to open up the Crossway Mall to through traffic after-hours, or any desire to. What might maybe happen is a locked door (fob needed, which all tenants have) from the subway access to the building, but that would present security challenges and compromises the way the buildings are now arranged.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-1_22-23-52.png
    upload_2017-9-1_22-23-52.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 299
Wait a minute, wait a minute. You mean to tell me that Metrolinx has the audacity of asking riders to walk a few feet to make a transfer? Funny how this is considered good news for inner city folks but Scarberians are demanding a $3.6 billion line for the sole reason of not having to walk the same distance to make their transfer.

Portions of the PATH (downtown Toronto) usually closes at 11 PM. So unless there will be a direct connection to and outside to bypass the stores at Crossways...

Likely, there will be a direct connection between GO/UPX and Dundas West Station platforms, so there should be a connection to the outside using a them.

How old are the Crossways Buildings? I can't remember a time without them and they sure are ugly. Too bad they could not be redeveloped...

The Dundas West-Bloor area has huge potential to be a high-density transit-oriented vibrant area. It's stiffled by the crossways, the seemingly abandoned giraffe development, and the school, which all eat up valuable street space, thanks to 1960s planning and architecture. It least there are decent plans for the Loblaws parking lot, but I would love to see the city initiate a comprehensive secondary plan for the area. I'm a tad biased because I live close to there though.

How old are the Crossways Buildings? I can't remember a time without them and they sure are ugly. Too bad they could not be redeveloped...
according to the TO Built database the Crossways was completed 1974. I don't think they're quite as ugly as that travesty retail/office/apartment amalgam on the sw corner.

The Dundas West-Bloor area has huge potential to be a high-density transit-oriented vibrant area. It's stiffled by the crossways, the seemingly abandoned giraffe development, and the school, which all eat up valuable street space, thanks to 1960s planning and architecture. It least there are decent plans for the Loblaws parking lot, but I would love to see the city initiate a comprehensive secondary plan for the area. I'm a tad biased because I live close to there though.
Are you on Prince Rupert?

according to the TO Built database the Crossways was completed 1974. I don't think they're quite as ugly as that travesty retail/office/apartment amalgam on the sw corner.
Agreed completely. The Crossways are actually good value for the rent charged. The design itself, of the two towers has a massive fault in acting as a massive venturi with the wind funneling between them, creating vortices in the surrounding area. The building is in good physical shape, much more than can be said about the SW corner property. Something exceptional about the Crossways units is the sound isolation between units. Units are separated with 8" block, plays two layers of drywall each side. If built now-days, that would be 4" block, and one layer of drywall each side, if that.

Details of the connection of GO to TTC through Crossways' parking lowest level here:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...-metrolinx-various.9023/page-305#post-1253451

On balance, I think the Crossways is a good complex for the city. It offers everyday retail like a FreshCo, a watch repair place, a hair salon, a CIBC, a dollar store and office space, in addition to the two towers of apartments. I actually like the architecture, with a podium of interesting geometric forms and monumental entrances. The complex has held up quite well--the brick facades still look to be in good shape. On the other hand, the massing overwhelms its surroundings. But if more high-rise buildings get built around it, it will look less overwhelming and more like an interesting piece to the high-density puzzle.

On balance, I think the Crossways is a good complex for the city. It offers everyday retail like a FreshCo, a watch repair place, a hair salon, a CIBC, a dollar store and office space, in addition to the two towers of apartments. I actually like the architecture, with a podium of interesting geometric forms and monumental entrances. The complex has held up quite well--the brick facades still look to be in good shape. On the other hand, the massing overwhelms its surroundings. But if more high-rise buildings get built around it, it will look less overwhelming and more like an interesting piece to the high-density puzzle.
FreshCo is actually to the north two plots, and the up-till-now empty one to the direct north of Crossways is now being redeveloped into a high-rise building. Doubtless, the area is going to come close to matching the height of the Crossways towers. What is notable is that there is no parking offered for the Bloor Station, nor should there be, unless someone chooses to use the FreshCo plaza parking, which is checked every few hours for persons doing that. With the loss of some parking space for the Crossways, already minimally rented to drivers (many gladly use the TTC hub across the street or the GO/UPX to the east) the emphasis on this intersection area in the future must continue to be low vehicle use. The Loblaws plaza redevelopment to the south aims at exactly that. And that raises the question of whether a connection to the south either underground or over Bloor Street should also be considered along with the one through the Crossway's lowest level of parking.

FreshCo is actually to the north two plots, and the up-till-now empty one to the direct north of Crossways is now being redeveloped into a high-rise building. Doubtless, the area is going to come close to matching the height of the Crossways towers. What is notable is that there is no parking offered for the Bloor Station, nor should there be, unless someone chooses to use the FreshCo plaza parking, which is checked every few hours for persons doing that. With the loss of some parking space for the Crossways, already minimally rented to drivers (many gladly use the TTC hub across the street or the GO/UPX to the east) the emphasis on this intersection area in the future must continue to be low vehicle use. The Loblaws plaza redevelopment to the south aims at exactly that. And that raises the question of whether a connection to the south either underground or over Bloor Street should also be considered along with the one through the Crossway's lowest level of parking.

Thanks for the correction about the FreshCo. The Crossways used to have an IGA.

Warning! Make sure you use the same machine on entering and exiting, else you will be charged twice. For example, getting on at Weston or Bloor with the GO AND UPX machine (left) and you exit at Union using the UPX machine (left), you are double charged.

img_1383-jpg.71800

Thanks for the correction about the FreshCo. The Crossways used to have an IGA.
That's correct, I couldn't remember the chain. That closed when the Price Chopper (now FreshCo) opened up the street.

Just got a tip from one of the managers at Crossways...*this is unverified!*...treat with caution until someone can substantiate this, it does makes sense, although his term may not be precise:
(gist): "Crossways doesn't own the land to the north of the actual building, the City does, and Crossways have a lease on it". I stated "A leasehold?" A: "Correct". "How long for, 99 years?" A: "Yes, something like that".

If true, this changes everything, but before anyone takes this for fact, let's dig on it...If true, any leasehold from the City (and/or TTC) will have caveats/terms/stipulations to it.

I'll try digging on it later, but some other posters are more adept at that.

Are you on Prince Rupert?

Nope, but close by.

Agreed completely. The Crossways are actually good value for the rent charged. The design itself, of the two towers has a massive fault in acting as a massive venturi with the wind funneling between them, creating vortices in the surrounding area. The building is in good physical shape, much more than can be said about the SW corner property. Something exceptional about the Crossways units is the sound isolation between units. Units are separated with 8" block, plays two layers of drywall each side. If built now-days, that would be 4" block, and one layer of drywall each side, if that.

The Crossways isn't bad, but the street-level interface could be much better. I'd love for them to do something like what's going on at the Sheppard Centre, where they're retrofitting for sidewalk-facing stores. I agree that the SW building is definitely not attractive, not sure about the physical condition, but at least it has storefronts (well, doctors & dentists) that would become attractive real estate if the area improved.

Warning! Make sure you use the same machine on entering and exiting, else you will be charged twice. For example, getting on at Weston or Bloor with the GO AND UPX machine (left) and you exit at Union using the UPX machine (left), you are double charged.

I remember when this setup started when they merged the UPX and GO fares. I was under the impression that it was temporary until the reprogrammed the readers. Anyone heard otherwise? I wonder what the holdup is (and yes, I do realize it's Presto, but still, it's been a while).

Back