My own not cynical and very real counter is that not much careful thought was given to transit at all. Look at the forty year catch up we are doing.

Would have cost a fraction and perhaps been underused. But would have been in place.

My own not cynical and very real counter is that not much careful thought was given to transit at all. Look at the forty year catch up we are doing.

Would have cost a fraction and perhaps been underused. But would have been in place.

A lot of thought was given to transit, but little action was taken. The action that was taken was often politically motivated and not aligned with demand. So many big ideas have come and gone like Network 2011, ICTS networks in the suburbs, and Transit City. I think your "real" counter is somewhat off base.

Last edited:
GO and UP Express Service Changes This Weekend

TORONTO: November 17, 2017 – This weekend there will be service changes for both GO Transit and UP Express.

Due to track maintenance, tonight and Saturday evenings, starting at 8:00 p.m., UP Express will depart hourly until the end of service. The last northbound train to leave Union Station going to Pearson Airport will be at 00:45 and the last southbound train to leave Pearson Airport going to Union Station will be at 00:42.

On Sunday, avoid traffic and parking and take GO Transit to the Annual Toronto Santa Claus Parade. GO Transit will offer special train service on the Milton, Kitchener, Stouffville and Barrie lines. Lakeshore East and West will run regular service every 30 minutes. Special fares will be available, $5 for kids/seniors, $10 for adults and $20 for groups (conditions apply). Don’t forget, UP express is always an option to get to and from downtown.

We encourage customers to sign-up for GO Alerts. For more information visit Just GO or UP Express.

Reactions: jys
Thought this was interesting. This 1969 GO transit/TTC expansion plan map shows the Pearson-Union train idea, even before the Kitchener Line, Milton Line, Richmond Hill Lines were even built. The Barrie and Stoufville Lines are completely omitted.

xqgAaK7.jpg

Who knew this idea was that old.

Thought this was interesting. This 1969 GO transit/TTC expansion plan map shows the Pearson-Union train idea, even before the Kitchener Line, Milton Line, Richmond Hill Lines were even built. The Barrie and Stoufville Lines are completely omitted.

We probably have enough planning proposals/studies in this city to cover the monkies typing up Shakespeare at random analogy.

AoD

We probably have enough planning proposals/studies in this city to cover the monkies typing up Shakespeare at random analogy.

AoD

That is something Toronto is great at - making transit plans.

I bet if we took all the transit plans and just built them all, the city would be great for transit.

But alas, every politician must say something new, bold, and big to get in.

xqgAaK7.jpg

It also shows a subway to Park Lawn and Lake Shore. My my were we ambitious.

Does anyone know why the UPExpress runs so slow along the elevated portion leading into Pearson? I've been on it about 5 times now, and everytime the train crawls and screeches it's way along the elevated rail into and out of the airport. I'm talking under 20km/h, bumpy and squealy the entire time.

Are the tracks just total junk? bad construction or design? or is there some other safety issue requiring the train to run so slow. I know it's fairly twisty along here but still, shouldn't it be designed to handle at least moderate speeds?

^ I'm sure others will jump in but you've nailed it with the safety rationale. The speed matches the design and type of vehicle. It's all related. Certainly not due to bad (or worn) tracks or bad construction.

Does anyone know why the UPExpress runs so slow along the elevated portion leading into Pearson? I've been on it about 5 times now, and everytime the train crawls and screeches it's way along the elevated rail into and out of the airport. I'm talking under 20km/h, bumpy and squealy the entire time.

Are the tracks just total junk? bad construction or design? or is there some other safety issue requiring the train to run so slow. I know it's fairly twisty along here but still, shouldn't it be designed to handle at least moderate speeds?

Because of the need to shoehorn the alignment between all of the 409 offramps and the people-mover, the line is a lot more curvy - both laterally and vertically - than it could have been otherwise. The maximum speed on the alignment is 40mph, but much of it has lower speed restrictions due to curve radius and the crossovers.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back