That I believe was the original plan. Good luck getting Weston which already feels neglected to be ok with that plan.
As recently as a couple months ago, a Metrolinx representative when asked directly at a community meeting noted their are currently no plans to close the Weston UPX.

As recently as a couple months ago, a Metrolinx representative when asked directly at a community meeting noted their are currently no plans to close the Weston UPX.
They may have changed their stance. Originally I'm sure it was to close. I'm happy it will remain open. But I'm trying to Jerry rig this line into a commuter line.

While UPX will gain additional stops in the interim --

I believe the long term goal would be multiple service plans, with express and allstop plans, with 4 true semiexpresses to pearson.

GO Expansion and electrification would make it possible. Then Weston would not have any problems being bypassed by some runs when there's a delicious amount of other trains to catch.

Merging UPX and GO would be feasible with some possible routes of GO expansion. Increase in frequencies to 7.5 or 5 minutes, with some going beyond Pearson, some going to Pearson, and some semi-express to Pearson. In an overhaul, a LINK replacement will connect to the Metrolinx rail directly (which will eventually be needed) would extend to either Malton or Woodbine (or both! -- as terminuses of a new LINK routing). This would make it unnecessary for UPX to reach all the way to Pearson -- one could potentially simply transfer to the LINK airport train after disembarking VIA / GO / UPX / HSR / LRT. You often have to transfer to LINK anyway, so it would not change the number of transfers for many Pearson trips.

There's many directions this could go, and Woodbine won't be built out for a long time anyway, perhaps not until Union Station West -- and Woodbine might be one of the candidate theoretical locations especially if surrounding areas gets redeveloped. Malton is another theoretical location, but may not be as easy to connect UPX-to-LINK. This stuff will take years or decades.

Last edited:
Apologies for the confusion between posters.

My comment remains the same. Read the Wikipedia entry, click through the services and find the ones that offer services with no intermediate stops. For example; Shanghai Maglev train connects Pudong airport with Longyang station in Pudong/Shanghai (not the city centre but on the outskirts of the city), Arlanda Express connects Stockholm airport with the city, and the Leonardo express connects Rome Fiumicino to the city centre. There I've answered your question, yes there are other cities where there is a direct rail connection between the airport and the city centre with no intermediate stops and to be honest it's not as uncommon as some would like other to believe.

As I dug through some of them, I kept running into ones that may be one seat, but not one stop.

As I dug through some of them, I kept running into ones that may be one seat, but not one stop.

I gave three examples. Shanghai, Stockholm, and Rome, I never claimed it was every airport but it certainly is not the exception. Besides UPX has two intermediate stops and no one is asking to remove them to create an express no stop service.

I gave three examples. Shanghai, Stockholm, and Rome, I never claimed it was every airport but it certainly is not the exception. Besides UPX has two intermediate stops and no one is asking to remove them to create an express no stop service.

Someone posted the Wikipedia link. I was commenting on that, not on your 3.

Your 3 of over a hundred cities large than Toronto makes it the exception, not the rule.

Someone posted the Wikipedia link. I was commenting on that, not on your 3.

Your 3 of over a hundred cities large than Toronto makes it the exception, not the rule.

Not sure if that was an attempt at snark or what...

Aanyway, I will leave it at this. It is reasonable to have the UPX service connect to other rapid transit in Toronto (Eglinton LRT at Mt Dennis, and Line 2 Bloor/Danforth at Dundas W). Anything more than that is the realm of GO Transit/RER type service and should be discussed as being run IN PARALLEL to UPX not in place of it.

Not sure if that was an attempt at snark or what...

Aanyway, I will leave it at this. It is reasonable to have the UPX service connect to other rapid transit in Toronto (Eglinton LRT at Mt Dennis, and Line 2 Bloor/Danforth at Dundas W). Anything more than that is the realm of GO Transit/RER type service and should be discussed as being run IN PARALLEL to UPX not in place of it.
Message me when RER is an actual thing other than political talk from politicians and hopes from people on this thread. It simply doesn't exist.

Message me when RER is an actual thing other than political talk from politicians and hopes from people on this thread. It simply doesn't exist.
Electrification is still political talk, but expansions have been ongoing for a decade. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and now 5th tracks, a new terminus, much better frequencies — the network along at least 3 lines can already be classified as non-electrified RER.

If there is any line where there is reason to believe, it’s this one, at least to Bramalea. With the tunnelling under way at 401/409, and the plans for the shift in the Railpath reaching clarity, we are starting to see a glow in the distance that might be a train. It may not be electrified in a hurry, but one can see a path to 15 minute local service with no need for UP to support non-airport customers.

It should have been done by 2015, but at least it’s moving.

- Paul

If there is any line where there is reason to believe, it’s this one, at least to Bramalea. With the tunnelling under way at 401/409, and the plans for the shift in the Railpath reaching clarity, we are starting to see a glow in the distance that might be a train. It may not be electrified in a hurry, but one can see a path to 15 minute local service with no need for UP to support non-airport customers.

It should have been done by 2015, but at least it’s moving.

- Paul

The majority of Weston locals really just want that frequent service downtown, UPX or otherwise. For the smaller number that regularly travel from Weston to the Airport, it would be a hassle for them to have to backtrack to Mount Dennis on GO to hop back on an UP to the airport. It will become a moot point if Woodbine becomes an UP stop, as they can transfer there (a fully-built out Woodbine would be an attractive off-airport entertainment district, which someday might warrant something like every-other or every-third UP train stopping there.

The majority of Weston locals really just want that frequent service downtown, UPX or otherwise. For the smaller number that regularly travel from Weston to the Airport, it would be a hassle for them to have to backtrack to Mount Dennis on GO to hop back on an UP to the airport. It will become a moot point if Woodbine becomes an UP stop, as they can transfer there (a fully-built out Woodbine would be an attractive off-airport entertainment district, which someday might warrant something like every-other or every-third UP train stopping there.
Weston is used by Kitchener line flyers coming from Brampton, Guelph, and KW.

I expect to see a very steep decline in UPX passengers with COVID.

GO Transit will be adjusting it’s schedule in anticipation of fewer passengers. Are there any plans to change the UPX schedule?

I expect to see a very steep decline in UPX passengers with COVID.

GO Transit will be adjusting it’s schedule in anticipation of fewer passengers. Are there any plans to change the UPX schedule?

Changed to 30 minute frequencies as opposed to 15.

Back