Last week when I was out shooting, I noticed a 2 car UP train at Spadina sitting and assuming waiting for a inbound signal and carry on. While walking toward Spadina on Front about 15 minutes later, The train was still sitting there and thought it maybe having issues.

As I walked south on Spadina, it was still sitting there that I took some shots of it and odd seeing a UP train there. After shooting another site, head to Blue Jay Way to get to Front and the train was still there. This is now close to 30 minutes for the train sitting there. As I near the bridge, an inbound UP train was arriving. Shortly after that, I heard the engines kick in and then the bell rang as it started to move toward Union. I guess they were doing a flip of equipment and the first time I seen this happen since service started. Other than the other train having issues, hard to say why the switch was been made consider they only run every 30 minutes these days.

Last week when I was out shooting, I noticed a 2 car UP train at Spadina sitting and assuming waiting for a inbound signal and carry on. While walking toward Spadina on Front about 15 minutes later, The train was still sitting there and thought it maybe having issues.

As I walked south on Spadina, it was still sitting there that I took some shots of it and odd seeing a UP train there. After shooting another site, head to Blue Jay Way to get to Front and the train was still there. This is now close to 30 minutes for the train sitting there. As I near the bridge, an inbound UP train was arriving. Shortly after that, I heard the engines kick in and then the bell rang as it started to move toward Union. I guess they were doing a flip of equipment and the first time I seen this happen since service started. Other than the other train having issues, hard to say why the switch was been made consider they only run every 30 minutes these days.

They swap equipment almost every day for any number of different reasons. Some are mechanical, some are due to cleanliness.

I haven't seen/heard stats from the last year but as recently as a year and a half ago they were still internally celebrating days without an exchange of equipment.

Dan

They should just buy the same EMU's as Caltrain with dual level platforms and use these everywhere on GO-RER, since they decided to not convert the existing UPX trains to electric.

Would allow them to use for the UPX (they would need to modify the screen doors to match up, but they will have to do that for any new train they buy) and have one rolling stock for GO-RER/UPX

It would also allow them to slowly convert all GO-RER stations to high platform.

Obviously the UPX-spur specific trains would be shorter.

View attachment 300554
Would also make it possible to gradually upgrade the high traffic portion of the network to high floor. Question for me is how you handle accessibility for people boarding at a high platform station and alighting at low platform & vice versa? Similar solution as today where accessible clients always board at high platform height through the use of ramps for certain cars on the low platforms?

For comparison purposes...

Getting into Manhattan from the (New York City area) airports

See link.

Three major airports cover the greater New York metropolitan area:
Unfortunately, none of these three airports is conveniently located. It's always somewhat painful to get into Manhattan from these airports. The following sections outline the most popular ways of reaching Manhattan. All modes of transportation take at least 30 minutes. Note that I can’t really cover all possible alternatives (and there are many), and that depending on where exactly you want to end up, there might be some other bus service that will get you there faster.

If you have a lot of luggage, taking a cab or a rideshare is generally the most convenient way to get to Manhattan. You won’t have to take multiple trains, ride elevators, or climb stairs. However, cabs can be very expensive and oftentimes take much longer than public transportation, especially during rush hour.

If you decide to take a cab or rideshare, be wary of people standing inside the baggage claim area who offer you transportation to the city. It's illegal and somewhat of a scam. Always go to the official taxi stands outside the baggage claim area or use your smartphone to hail a rideshare. The yellow cabs there aren't just famous, they're the real deal. As for tipping your cabbie, please note that the credit card machines in taxi cabs usually provide you with a default choice of a 20% tip. You can change this manually to a more standard tip of 10-15%....

From link.
1616951320245.png

1616951405011.png

1616951441444.png

1616951491452.png

The reason the US has so many Airtrains and other short connections between airports and transit lines: https://secondavenuesagas.com/2021/...projects-and-laguardia-airport-could-benefit/

Regulations against passenger facility charges doesn't seem to prevent the Astoria line extension, though, since the extension would be terminating at the airport. Through-running through the airport is a great idea, in theory, but in practice I can't think of any airports in Canada/US served that way. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, and soon Ottawa will all be served by spurs that terminate at the airport.

The Airtrain seems more to do with Cuomo's long history of micromanaging the MTA into the ground than any federal government policy. Other advocates have pointed out how the airtrain has such an indirect, circuitous route that it's slower than the bus routes to almost every destination, including to anywhere in Manhattan.

If only governor Cuomo were as effective at planning airport transit as he is at killing nursing home residents and sexually harassing employees...

Back