there was a meek station announcement about a "brief delay".
No matter what the problem was/is, that's inexcusable, especially with the clientele they're aimed at. As to the "meek announcement"...that must have been staff also left in the dark, but they knew they had to do their best in lieu of the obvious situation to inform passengers. It is curious as to why the spare set wasn't subbed in, there may have been a switch failure that was impossible to work around. Or worse...

Further info - when my cab arrived at T1, I could see from the departures drop off area that the YYZ UPX station was full of people, and there was no train on either platform, nor visible on the guideway.

As far as subbing in a spare set, I don't think that's a quick operation - surely it would take upwards of at least an hour to mobilize a crew and get them to where the spare set is, then to get it into service wherever it needs to be.

I agree, though - the complete lack of useful communication here is a huge miss.

There has been enough conversation about cycles and/on public transit I started a new thread about this. I have some experience of it too - it's too hard to get bikes on trains and subways IMHO. Come chat about it at http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/cycles-and-on-transit.25388/
Excellent David! There are idiosyncrasies to travelling with bikes that non-cyclists wouldn't relate to, but Cycling via Go has become quite a niche. Ironically, the very same GO trains used in the US cater *far more* to cyclists. See you in your new forum!

Arrived at Union UPX station around 1:30pm today - departure countdown showed 3 minutes, but there was no train in the station, so I knew something was up.

After the counter had counted down and looped around (showing 14 minutes) there was a meek station announcement about a "brief delay". I waited another 20 minutes and still no train, and it was clear the station agents had no additional info. The UPX Twitter account was silent, but I did see tweets from some people complaining of being stuck in a train for upwards of an hour.

At that point I couldn't gamble on waiting any longer - I'm now in a cab on the way to Pearson.

I know delays are inevitable, but the complete lack of info and communication is very disappointing.

I'm also curious the cause. If it were a problem with one set, I'm not sure why it would mean more than one missed delay at Union. Anyone have some insider knowledge here?

Further info - when my cab arrived at T1, I could see from the departures drop off area that the YYZ UPX station was full of people, and there was no train on either platform, nor visible on the guideway.

As far as subbing in a spare set, I don't think that's a quick operation - surely it would take upwards of at least an hour to mobilize a crew and get them to where the spare set is, then to get it into service wherever it needs to be.

I agree, though - the complete lack of useful communication here is a huge miss.

Dam! Two co-workers that would typically take a cab to the airport finally gave into my encouragement today and left the office to take the UP instead....they are gonna be so mad at me now :( (and likely, given who they are, never will try it again).

GO was like this before they implemented their 15 minute guarantee and online delay alerts.
Let's find the same people who did these and get them to handle the UPX delay alerts.

Hello @femwriter?
GO is not always that great either....as I experienced today......much more trivial situation but this morning I got to Brampton GO just as the 8:02 pulled out.....so grabbed a coffee and waited for the 8:25.....at 8:28 i tweeted:

upload_2016-4-4_21-2-23.png

2 minutes later an announcement that the 8:25 train had just left Mt. Pleasant and would arrive shortly on track 2.

Not sure what time they figured out the train was running 10 minutes late....but they sure weren't announcing anything in advance....and given how chilly it was, those people lined up on the platform for an 8:25 arrival would likely have appreciated a bit more time in shelters/tunnels...whatever.

I actually have a bit more sympathy for what seems to have happened on UPX today....based on Vegeta's post it sounds like it was something pretty major and out of the norm. There probably was a bit of "what do we do? what do we say?" going on. When it is far more normal delay "earlier freight traffic" you would expect an automatic "make an announcement...and repeat it every 2 or 3 minutes"....oh, and when they finally figure out that the 3 electronic signs on track 1 are useless when the vast majority of trains use track 2 things might get better!

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-4_21-2-23.png
    upload_2016-4-4_21-2-23.png
    38 KB · Views: 678
I find the online information about where the GO Train is, and how late it is, is quite reliable. Do you check this: http://www.gotracker.ca/gotracker/mobile/ (this is the mobile version, but I find it's easier to use than the graphical tracker, especially from a mobile).
nope...but as the 8:02 I did check their mobile site to find out what time the next time was (haven't used that train since it used to be the 8:19)...and they told me the next train was at 8:25.....anyway, I just don't think they are as good at this as mdrejhon suggested.

I actually have a bit more sympathy for what seems to have happened on UPX today....based on Vegeta's post it sounds like it was something pretty major and out of the norm. There probably was a bit of "what do we do? what do we say?" going on. When it is far more normal delay "earlier freight traffic" you would expect an automatic "make an announcement...and repeat it every 2 or 3 minutes"....

A properly run operations center has an announcement for EVERY eventuality. It doesn't have to provide any graphic or factual detail, it jusr has to tell people what matters most.... ie how long will the delay be, and is anything being done to deal with the waiting customers.

If today's event was extraordinary, it should have been all that more obvious that service wasn't about to resume soon and people should have been told that immediately. It's not like there wasn't a depot full of coaches right up the street that could have been borrowed, either. UP/GO should have a standing procedure for that contingency.

I find GO is gleefully effective and forthcoming in their communications when they can plausibly blame someone else. The Kitchener line is good for this because of the freight trains. When the delay is of their own doing, much less info is provided. The old civil service adage "Failure + Excuse = Success" seems to apply.

- Paul

The GO site is usually good for delays, although not always with reasons.

I was taking a midday train home to Bramalea last week, and it stopped just pulling out of Malton for about ten minutes. After seven minutes, I hopped onto the website, and the only explanation was "Delay: Stopped". A minute later, the customer service ambassador said something, but no information on why we were delayed - long enough to miss connecting Brampton Transit buses.

A few weeks ago, they were running a reduced winter service because of the weather. The site said as much, but did not show a schedule. I get to the station, and there is a 1:30 gap between trains instead of the 1 hour gap. I understand weather is hardly their fault, but such a different schedule was not clearly communicated.

And a third story that just happened on Friday. A good majority of the platforms at Union (5-11) were blocked off, the doors from both Bay Teamways closed. I don't know why, nor was there any announcement of why. So I get to my usual waiting at the west teamway, and see this, so there's plenty of time, so I switch over to the east teamway, and it's blocked off there too. Now the platform comes up for the midday Mount Pleasant train, and it's all the way over on platform 24, which is vastly different from normal, and also quite a trek away from its usual place. Blocking platforms off, even if only sparingly used midday without explaining why or for how long is not good.

nope...but as the 8:02 I did check their mobile site to find out what time the next time was (haven't used that train since it used to be the 8:19)...and they told me the next train was at 8:25.....anyway, I just don't think they are as good at this as mdrejhon suggested.
No, but they were a lot worse ten years ago in keeping commuters in the dark about delays
(15mins+ where delay announcements kind of desperately matter...)

I'm just saying --relatively speaking-- UPX seems to be quite behind GO in delay announcements.

Back