Makes a lot more sense. The US clearance waiting time is too long primarily because people go there way too early for the actual departure, and they get in the way of those who actually allocate otherwise reasonable time. I never understood why people choose to wait in the airport for 1.5-2 hours at the gate with a boarding pass in hand without anything to do.
Because too many of us have taken over 2 hours just in the US clearance line (and only not missed our flights out of luck). Or got through quickly, but then been held for 90 minutes or so at US Security while they check something - I've heard of more than one person whose still been sitting at the desk when their flight leaves, despite being there 3 hours ahead of time.

You realize that there is a cell phone parking lot available off site right? I now work near the airport and it amazes me at the number of ignorant people who park along the side of hwy 409 waiting for their pick up to call and say "i'm here' when they could simply go park at the cell phone lot. I mean what's wrong with your pick up passenger waiting a few minutes at the pick up point vs you sitting at the side of a freeway.

Re. the $2 surcharge. I think someone nailed it on the head by saying GTAA imposed this fee because they can. They may very well be charging the airport taxis something similar except the taxi companies are just rolling it into their fare rather than showing it on their billing. Remember only certified GTAA taxis are permitted to pick up at the airport.

I've used that cell phone lot. However, they recently put in a change. The first 45 minutes are free. They then start charging you. The maximum is $28. No cash or debit cards accepted. There are cameras. See link. Let's hope our friend does not take more than the 45 minutes.

Because too many of us have taken over 2 hours just in the US clearance line (and only not missed our flights out of luck). Or got through quickly, but then been held for 90 minutes or so at US Security while they check something - I've heard of more than one person whose still been sitting at the desk when their flight leaves, despite being there 3 hours ahead of time.

This is totally off topic, but if you travel much at all to the US you should look into Nexus. I recently traveled there and pre-clearance + security took about 5 minutes. The normal line looked like it had a few hundred people in it. Here's the link http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

This is totally off topic, but if you travel much at all to the US you should look into Nexus. I recently traveled there and pre-clearance + security took about 5 minutes. The normal line looked like it had a few hundred people in it. Here's the link http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html
Fortunately as time passes we can do much more work without ever having to go there. Which means that trips are much less frequent ... and not worth the trouble of Nexus. But if you did ... yes.

I've used that cell phone lot. However, they recently put in a change. The first 45 minutes are free. They then start charging you. The maximum is $28. No cash or debit cards accepted. There are cameras. See link. Let's hope our friend does not take more than the 45 minutes.

Not being confrontational but if you have to wait more than 45 mins for your pick up than I'd say you have arrived far to early! I realize people come from up to 2 hrs away to pick people up but how difficult is it to check flight arrival times (through GTAA, Airline, or other sources) and schedule yourself to arrive at the airport roughly 20 minutes (to allow for customs and luggage pick up etc) after the flight arrives. Is it so terrible for your pick up to wait a few minutes at the pick up curb vs you sitting at the side of a highway.

Not being confrontational but if you have to wait more than 45 mins for your pick up than I'd say you have arrived far to early! I realize people come from up to 2 hrs away to pick people up but how difficult is it to check flight arrival times (through GTAA, Airline, or other sources) and schedule yourself to arrive at the airport roughly 20 minutes (to allow for customs and luggage pick up etc) after the flight arrives. Is it so terrible for your pick up to wait a few minutes at the pick up curb vs you sitting at the side of a highway.

Anyway......the 45 minutes for free thing is either cancelled or suspended....picked people up at the airport twice this week and went to the cell phone lot to await their "walking out of terminal" text and the gates have been taken away and the payment system gone.

I agree.
It is always better for the passenger to wait for a few minutes than for the driver to arrive too early and circle around the airport waiting for the passenger to show.

If I'm waiting for someone for more than 45 minutes I'm probably going to the nearest Timmies anyway, hahaha.

I just returned from Vienna and used their CAT train. It basically reminds me of UPX down to the same green colour. 16 min to the airport departing every half-hour from a central train station. 12 Euro one way. Baggage check in and boarding pass printed downtown prior to getting on the train. A fantastic experience that should be a model for Toronto's system.

I just returned from Vienna and used their CAT train. It basically reminds me of UPX down to the same green colour. 16 min to the airport departing every half-hour from a central train station. 12 Euro one way. Baggage check in and boarding pass printed downtown prior to getting on the train. A fantastic experience that should be a model for Toronto's system.

That does not sound too far off of what UPe will be. 12 euros is about $17.50 today and check in for most airlines has been promised. Departures will be every 15 minutes here but travel time will be about 25 minutes.

There is also a local train service that also serves Vienna's airport, but without those extra frills.

There won't be any baggage drop-off at Union though, is that correct?

It is a little unclear.....what I interpret is that there will be check in and that, in today's travel world, usually means that bag tags will be printed and all you will need to do at the airport is hand in your bags.

As predicted, here is the public outrage over UPX. This is just the beginning:

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/news...yees_outraged_at_steep_airportlink_fares.html

They really lost me at this line:

“Meanwhile, there will be this direct, 15-minute train to the airport that will be completely empty.”

How do they know it will be completely empty? And, given the size of the trains, their complaints about current "crowded" transit options would just be replicated if the fare was as low as they suggest...so we would have an overcrowded train that is losing money based on those fares....what would they complain about then.

Back