AFAIK, nothing much - its's heritage.

AoD

They have to be planning to do something. I was through there last weekend to catch a train and sections are boarded up with plywood and bare drywall. I realize this is probably to aid other parts of the Union Station project, but those sections are going to have to be repaired/replaced once the work is done. It's a real mess in there right now.

It's part of the next phase along with the Bay concourse, which is yet to be tendered. The boarded up sections at Via concourse are for a walkway between the new York concourse and Bay (south?) concourse

They have to be planning to do something. I was through there last weekend to catch a train and sections are boarded up with plywood and bare drywall. I realize this is probably to aid other parts of the Union Station project, but those sections are going to have to be repaired/replaced once the work is done. It's a real mess in there right now.

My understanding is that whatever they do in the concourse will have to respect the original aesthetics of the concourse, and I don't think it will deviate from the utilitarian nature of the space (putting it politely).

AoD

I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the aesthetics of the concourse. It's a bit dated and plain, but if it were properly cleaned up and had some new furniture installed it wouldn't be a bad/ugly space.

People are genuinely excited about this new concourse/teamway.

My regular exit from Union is York Street, east side, and for a few weeks I have regularly heard people talking about it, wondering when it opens. Twice this week I've even seen people walk over the "caution" tape at the bottom of the stairs from platform 24/25 so they can peer through the doors into the new concourse and take pictures.

The VIA concourse would look a lot better with new furniture, improved lights like appropriate decorative scones, and new public art. No major changes are truly needed.

Next thing I hear will be the 70s era Bay concourse will be declared heritage.

Don't give them ideas.

Complete with disco lights, and 70s neon, it might work. ;)

j/k

Seriously. Step away slowly, move along, nothing to see, it's a teardown reno, the 70s concourse never existed.

I was past the York teamway yesterday and it looks just about finished - though there were pools of water on the floors.

That water has been there for a long time. I walk past at least twice a day. I am surprised that once they started working in the teamway a while ago that the water wasn't dealt with then (they cleaned the windows). I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the actual York underpass was supposed to be cleaned up after Union is complete, but I wonder if they can fix the long standing water issues now. For years now there has been water (coming from the tracks above) dripping onto the sidewalk in several spots (and I assume this is the same issue in the teamway).

Is there a good reason why they have not fixed this problem? Is there a larger drainage issue that needs to be dealt with or is it as simple as someone filling a few holes up above on the track level?

For years now there has been water (coming from the tracks above) dripping onto the sidewalk in several spots (and I assume this is the same issue in the teamway).

Is there a good reason why they have not fixed this problem? Is there a larger drainage issue that needs to be dealt with or is it as simple as someone filling a few holes up above on the track level?
GO/Metrolinx have been fixing the bridges/viaducts from Cherry to York (and maybe further) and certainly at Jarvis/Sherbourne and parliament the amount of leaking from above is greatly reduced. I does seem odd that they have not dealt with York yet and I guess it MAY be because they will do it track by track as they upgrade the platform areas. (Obviously they cannot easily fix these cracks (or expansion joints?) while trains are using that track.

Forgive my ignorance, what projects current under way at Union Station - other than UPX - are expected to be complete for the Pan Ams?

Last edited:
The York Go Train concourse will be open and the shed upgrade will be complete. Union subway art installation should be complete and the rest of it's renovation should be finished as well. I'm not positive but Front St should be cleaned all up and back to two way traffic.

I thought the shed won't be anywhere close to being done - 2016 was quoted sometime ago, but I suspect even that might be optimistic. From the photos on the state of construction, I think Phase 1 of NW PATH should be ready by then.

AoD

Back