I noticed lots of signage on the VIA concourse directing to the York Concourse, but having the words "York Concourse" masked.
The corridor between York and Bay concourses (in VIA concourse) looks ready too.

I noticed lots of signage on the VIA concourse directing to the York Concourse, but having the words "York Concourse" masked.
The corridor between York and Bay concourses (in VIA concourse) looks ready too.

Yes, they are putting up new signage all over (and have started to unveil the new UP 'station' exterior in the SkyWalk.) The opening approaches!

Photos from Saturday - overview of Front Street/York Street Teamway

DSC00228s.jpg

DSC00231s.jpg

DSC00237s.jpg

DSC00238s.jpg

DSC00240s.jpg

DSC00241s.jpg

DSC00242s.jpg

DSC00243s.jpg

DSC00244s.jpg

AoD

Attachments

• DSC00228s.jpg
    DSC00228s.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 961
  • DSC00231s.jpg
    DSC00231s.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 970
  • DSC00237s.jpg
    DSC00237s.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 930
  • DSC00238s.jpg
    DSC00238s.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 972
  • DSC00240s.jpg
    DSC00240s.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 916
  • DSC00241s.jpg
    DSC00241s.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 919
  • DSC00242s.jpg
    DSC00242s.jpg
    400.7 KB · Views: 921
  • DSC00243s.jpg
    DSC00243s.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC00244s.jpg
    DSC00244s.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 926
Thanks for those pics Alvin. I was just admiring this in person earlier when walking my dog. Somehow I was so impressed that I forgot to take pictures!

I like the openness of Front St between Union Station and the Royal York Hotel without the obstruction of trees along the centre but I feel like it's missing something. Perhaps old fashioned street lamps? I didnt see any electrical prep where they could go unless they're planning on drilling into the new granite pavers where electrical was previously left ready.

Photos from Saturday - overview of Front Street/York Street Teamway
[snip]
Very nice. The golden rails of the Union stairs are a lovely touch.
And I like the fact there's Presto readers on both sides of Bay teamway entrances. Hope they do the same for Bay Teamways.
Very clear, big platform numbering, too.

(Would be nice if there was a videoboard at every single entrance, but hey -- there should be plenty of them within nearby eyesight, hopefully)

Thanks for those pics Alvin. I was just admiring this in person earlier when walking my dog. Somehow I was so impressed that I forgot to take pictures!

I like the openness of Front St between Union Station and the Royal York Hotel without the obstruction of trees along the centre but I feel like it's missing something. Perhaps old fashioned street lamps? I didnt see any electrical prep where they could go unless they're planning on drilling into the new granite pavers where electrical was previously left ready.
Or gracefully lighting up the Union Station facade from below, and letting its comfortable glow illuminate Front Street?

Last edited:
I made a call to a friend at City Hall who's familiar with the project. There won't be any light poles on the Union Station side to maximize space for the hoards of people who walk along this sidewalk during rush hour. Instead, there will be tall light posts on the Royal York side to illuminate the roadway. Besides those, the area will be lit from a combination of lighting schemes: Trees throughout will be lit, the station itself with be bathed in light, there'll be benches on the Union Station side that'll have built in lighting from underneath, and there'll be lights embedded in some parts of the sidewalk.

Too bad about the loss of vintage style light posts but I understand why they'd want to keep posts out of the way of pedestrians rushing to trains and to their jobs.

Too bad about the loss of vintage style light posts but I understand why they'd want to keep posts out of the way of pedestrians rushing to trains and to their jobs.
Makes sense, given the plan to push 3x the number of people (2x during peak) through Union by the 2030s.

It's nothing short of a miracle that Union has been rejigged to eventually handle double peak-period passenger throughput. Don't think many people thought it could be done.

Bathing the station in lovely lighting, will greatly make up for the loss of lamp posts.

Maybe one single homage, an internally-illuminated old-fashioned four-sided central clock pole in the middle nearly exactly like the one used from almost 100 years ago? It'll be out of the way anyway, in front of the lesser-trafficked central entrance used by VIA passengers.

Last edited:
I made a call to a friend at City Hall who's familiar with the project. There won't be any light poles on the Union Station side to maximize space for the hoards of people who walk along this sidewalk during rush hour. Instead, there will be tall light posts on the Royal York side to illuminate the roadway. Besides those, the area will be lit from a combination of lighting schemes: Trees throughout will be lit, the station itself with be bathed in light, there'll be benches on the Union Station side that'll have built in lighting from underneath, and there'll be lights embedded in some parts of the sidewalk.

I hope they don't use the ugly grey light posts. I hate seeing them in this city. Why can't they use black?

Any idea when this will happen ?

Looking good. But I think those Presto readers need to move forward about a metre, and rotated 90 degrees towards each other. They seem to be in an awkward spot if you're trying to tap, then pull the door towards you, then swing around and through (or the opposite, if tapping out). Wouldn't create a very good flow with a lot of people.

Back