Given the level of inttoxication of many late night riders, especially after Jays/Leafs games, you can be sure that some fool will try something sooner rather than later.

- Paul

Anyone know if the rather 1970s VIA board is going to be upgraded?

My understanding is fuzzy on this (and on a lotta things!;-) but wasn't there a plan to remove the existing clock, departure boards and kiosk? I know it sounds crazy, so don't freak out just yet...

In my vague recollections, the board would then go above the existing VIA ticket booths, and don't ask me what would remain in the centre of the Great Hall.

(I believe there has been a clock and some kind of booth in the centre of the 'Ticket Lobby' for almost if not all of the years since it was completed.)

If anyone can scour through the older plans to see if there are hints, that might help.

I for one cannot recall ever seeing an "artist's fan--" I mean "rendition" of a completed Great Hall.

There is new hoarding in two locations on the south side of the West Wing. For those who haven't grokked all the new monikers for station areas, it's the space(s) just west of the Great Hall.

Previous plans show retail for this area, so what shall we expect? A return to barbering in the slot between the washrooms and the access to platform 3?
And next to the Travel Ontario office? Will this be a branch of TD-Canada Trust...?

Just conjecturating... ;-)

Given the level of inttoxication of many late night riders, especially after Jays/Leafs games, you can be sure that some fool will try something sooner rather than later.

- Paul

It's not like they can just walk off the sidewalk on to the skylight. They have to climb over the wall and jump down several feet. It's further down than it looks in pictures. I'd say about 5 ft from the top of the wall.

We shouldn't have to hinder the benefits to the masses by planning around a couple idiots.

Sh*t happens, if someone jumps on that skylight and hurts themselves and causes damage, they can go through the justice system and we can fix it. It will splash on the newspapers and social media for a couple days, and then we will carry on.

Any idea if or how they plan on preventing people from walking on the roof?
Yeah. Common sense.

You don't see people walking on other skylights in the city. Because they'd be arrested.
You have got to be kidding. Although with a handle like @Miscreant you may know a thing it two...

uh... I think Miscreant brought up a very valid point, and I've actually been wondering that for a while too.
I guess you guys haven't been in the area late on a Friday or Saturday night to catch the last Go train or last Go bus out from Union... This is a time when "common sense" does not necessarily prevail amongst all that pass through.

That said, I thought maybe a mid-rise wrought iron decorative fence would work well here on top of the existing mid-rise concrete walls.

Last edited:

- Paul
Is there currently a problem with people falling into the moat that hasn't been published in the papers or any other form of media? If there isn't then I don't see how putting in glass roof below normal eye level will suddenly trigger it.

He's not saying falling into, he's saying jumping onto the roof purposely because it seems like a good idea to a drunk person. It's no different than people jumping down to track level in the subway.
I get that but how many people are actually going to know that the glass is there when they are drunk? I was just saying that since there isn't a problem now I doubt there will be a problem later.

Last edited:
I get that but how many people are actually going to know that the gals is there when they are drunk? I was just saying that since there isn't a problem now I doubt there will be a problem later.
Even if the gals are there it may be the drunk guys who are looking for them .... Or maybe you need to do even a LITTLE proof-reading (or subsequent editing).

I don't know- I hear all of you, but still think something is needed, unless it's a REALLY significant drop down to the glass... i.e. one that would make it difficult or impossible to climb out from.
Otherwise dummies are going to treat it like the glass floor of the CN tower... daring each other to take a walk on the wild side.

is there gap between the line of great hall wall and archers ? I don't know how they can prevent rain or melting ice ..

Designing for a drunk person sounds like overkill to me

We shouldn't have to hinder the benefits to the masses by planning around a couple idiots.

Because this thinking has worked out so well for us before...

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.26.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.35.29 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.26.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.26.49 AM.png
    347.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.35.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.35.29 AM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 255

Back