Because this thinking has worked out so well for us before...

Slight difference between a car driving down into LRT tunnel blocking operations vs. something falling through a skylight in a moat. If we want to deal with stupids, we should be prioritizing building platform barriers - where people have actually died - and not worrying about something as inconsequential (at a local level) as this - funds and brain power would be better spent there.

AoD

Uh huh. I'd be willing to make it interesting by putting some money down that this happens at least once in the next 24 months.
I really do not want to live in a place where everything is made completely 'fool proof' and we have barriers and bars and blocked-off areas just because some stupid or drunk person may one day want to try some stupid stunt. If someone falls through the new glass moat roofs I will feel (mildly) sorry for their family and friends but really not too sorry for them. As I said above "let natural selection take its course".

Uh huh. I'd be willing to make it interesting by putting some money down that this happens at least once in the next 24 months.
I guess you will be the one doing it, since you are willing to put money down??

I'd put money down for drunken people going on there, but I'm of the opinion it will be built to handle the weight of people. And regardless, won't cleaners have to be on there to wash it? It will become a depository for pigeon waste, tossed hotdogs/drinks, leaves, and whatever windblown detritus ends up there.

I'd put money down for drunken people going on there, but I'm of the opinion it will be built to handle the weight of people. And regardless, won't cleaners have to be on there to wash it? It will become a depository for pigeon waste, tossed hotdogs/drinks, leaves, and whatever windblown detritus ends up there.

And if it didn't, well, jumping on a glass roof that one doesn't belong - am I supposed to shed tears for that? We don't worry ourselves with someone drunk deciding to jump off a bridge, into the lake, off a building - but we have to worry about them doing it here? Please, that's busy work.

AoD

Should we put big barriers all along the waterfront because some drunk person might walk off into the water?

This is silly.
Better yet, fill it in. People can jump over barriers.
fences.jpg

Attachments

• fences.jpg
    fences.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 277
The deciding factor for me is the possibility that some innocent person may be *under* the glass roof when the inevitable dumbass falls through it. We may not have any sympathy for the guy who falls, but we should be concerned about the potential collateral damage.

- Paul

I guess you will be the one doing it, since you are willing to put money down??
Haha, that was part of the joke, yeah.

But regardless: I'm somewhat surprised of the animated responses here. It was really just a knee-jerk query, but one that's in line with much of what we see in the city: basic cues put up around public infrastructure to discourage, but rarely fully prevent, stupidity.

The only thing we have to worry about is all the bird shit that's going to end up on that skylight. I'm seriously very curious to find out how they're going to deal with that.

Given the amount of pigeons in front of Union Station and the accumulated poop on those walls before, are they going to have someone washing off that glass every day? Some sort of electronic anti-bird measure?

The only thing we have to worry about is all the bird shit that's going to end up on that skylight. I'm seriously very curious to find out how they're going to deal with that.

Given the amount of pigeons in front of Union Station and the accumulated poop on those walls before, are they going to have someone washing off that glass every day? Some sort of electronic anti-bird measure?
They have bird-proofed the walls of Union Station so they will have fewer places to roost but people still feed them. Ugh!

Just curious how far below the current walls around the moat is the roof they are building? If it's below them then how is someone supposed to know it's there to jump onto? That's why I asked if there was a problem with drunk people jumping into the moat.

Back