Amano recently posted their liquor licence application request, so they're slowly chugging along

Further investigation of social media tells me that both Amano and Union Chicken had hiring fairs in the past week or two and are still moving towards November openings!

Oct 27
More up on site
26227562699_721b575a84_b.jpg

37294713814_28288c81d5_b.jpg

26227565519_d3a36efc90_b.jpg

37294716054_96aec5c257_b.jpg

37294717344_db0ca81d84_b.jpg

26227569669_dc9c8d794e_b.jpg

24152004388_d250ff7c92_b.jpg

24152007918_4abd99c50a_b.jpg

38003723131_2bcecaed5b_b.jpg

What's really needed is a place where you can get a proper, Ontario-brewed craft beer. I could easily burn through a sharp Imperial IPA before getting on the train to go away for a weekend.

What's really needed is a place where you can get a proper, Ontario-brewed craft beer. I could easily burn through a sharp Imperial IPA before getting on the train to go away for a weekend.
Good point. Airports are full of places to grab a drink. Why the hell not our Union Station?

Good point. Airports are full of places to grab a drink. Why the hell not our Union Station?
I would have thought the answer to that was obvious.

The vast majority (by a huge margin) of users of the station are commuters who know their train schedules and arrive just in time to board their trains. No a lot of “linger here” time built in.

So the cost of building a licensed establishment is not worth it. There was one bar pre renos and there might be one or two post.....but that is it.

Airport travel, on the other hand, has a lot of waiting around time built in.

The vast majority (by a huge margin) of users of the station are commuters who know their train schedules and arrive just in time to board their trains. No a lot of “linger here” time built in.

So the cost of building a licensed establishment is not worth it. There was one bar pre renos and there might be one or two post.....but that is it.

Fair points. I see what you mean. But first notice that the bar that was there before, just by the old LCBO, was usually full. And it was a dump. But beyond that, we have 100k+ people moving through this station a day. We also have a lot of drop offs and pick ups. I'm virtually positive that a respectable gastropub would succeed here. Let's say you're dropping someone off for the Via and want to grab a drink together before departure; or you're picking up and decide to grab drink as you decide where to head out in the city.

It strikes me there is a good market here. But maybe the proof is in the pudding: no planned gastropub suggests I'm wrong, because where there is a market there is typically a marketer.

All I know is an Imperial Double IPA with a basket of fries sounds like a great way to prepare for my train trip.

Also, less rushing for trains by Lakeshore commuters than Kitchener commuters - you can always wait for the next train. Oftentimes, I have enjoyed a longer linger in downtown Toronto. Good Union amenities would still attract me as a commuter once in a while, so commuters are still in the Venn Diagram.

I'm hoping Union Chicken will fill this void. They are promoting craft beer on the hoarding, and their Sherway Gardens location has a reasonable selection, including a rotating Ontario craft tap.

beer.png

Attachments

• beer.png
    beer.png
    55.9 KB · Views: 330

There was a time in the early 1990s when I think there were 3 bars open at or around the same time. There was Commuters (?) near the LCBO, Choo-Choos a little further east, and the sports bar upstairs on the way to SkyWalk, which was mostly busy before Jays games.

Last edited:

Back