I would disagree. The picture here shows what is called the Great Hall East Wing. The Bay GO Concourse (upper level) is a totally different area, and actually at a different elevation to the East Wing. The area under the skylight and opening in the floor (picture foreground) is the Front Street Promenade, which is connected at grade (more or less) to the TTC, Bay Retail, which is below the GO concourse level and similar elevation to the Food court under the York GO Concourse.
Elevations:
1. Great Hall/East & West Wings/Street level
2. Moats/Promenades & GO Concourses - Scotiabank Arena
3. Food Court/Retail concourses
OK, I agree there are 3 levels - which are more obvious on east side - think we are discussing same thing, the "Great Hall East Wing level" is really more of the mezzanine to the Bay concourse. Bottom line is that it (mezzanine level) looks ALMOST finished so it seems likely they will open it and a 'pathway' through the GO Concourse level (even if only part of it is open) so that traffic to and from TTC can flow better and they can shut off other sections of east Front St moat for tiling etc.

The City of Toronto has the same problem at the Lake Shore Boulevard entrance to Bremner Boulevard. They put barricades there to prevent people from driving in off lake shore and keep giving the run around touting security measures when people ask when permanent barriers will be put in.

I do not buy the excuse that this is related to Union Station's construction. Even now they put in concrete barricades during major events at the arena.

This is not about construction inside union station, it is that the city is too cheap.

They're actually fixing the Bremner/Lake Shore problem. They just installed (last weekend) a permanent metal swing barrier across that roadway and the jersey barriers are being removed.

I wrote to Tory about the damned Jersey Barriers and got this response - I post, though it is certainly not good news!

Thanks for your email. I can confirm that the current barriers in front of Union Station are only temporary. It is intended that they will remain in place until the City has a properly designed, permanent solution in place. City staff are working on a plan to install permanent security barriers at Union Station which are smaller, more pleasing to look at and easier for pedestrians to navigate.

At this time, there isn't a timeframe for the installation of the permanent solution, as it is part of a larger scope of work to be done outside the station that will come once the construction in and around the station is more complete.

I hope that addresses your questions.

Bruce

BRUCE HAWKINS
Strategic Communications
City of Toronto

bruce.hawkins@toronto.ca

I wrote to Tory about the damned Jersey Barriers and got this response - I post, though it is certainly not good news!

Thanks for your email. I can confirm that the current barriers in front of Union Station are only temporary. It is intended that they will remain in place until the City has a properly designed, permanent solution in place. City staff are working on a plan to install permanent security barriers at Union Station which are smaller, more pleasing to look at and easier for pedestrians to navigate.

At this time, there isn't a timeframe for the installation of the permanent solution, as it is part of a larger scope of work to be done outside the station that will come once the construction in and around the station is more complete.

I hope that addresses your questions.

Bruce

BRUCE HAWKINS
Strategic Communications
City of Toronto

bruce.hawkins@toronto.ca

Pretty vacuous, as expected. So many words for so little of meaning.

AoD

Peaking through the plywood doors next to platforms 26/27. View to the future entrance to Bay concourse from Maple Leaf Square. Some work finally happening.
20191203_124856.jpg

As we all suspected, they have stopped work on the flooring of the (exterior) York moat area and have moved into the (heated) East Front Moat where they have made very good progress laying the granite flooring in the centre section. They also appear to be tidying up in the TTC level of the Bay Concourse so I think this reinforces the suspicion that sooner than later they will create a direct route (possibly a fenced-off pathway) from TTC across the newly tiled portion of the East Front moat through Bay Concourse to the rest of Union. Peering into the 'Leather Shop Area" it looks as though they are working on the ceiling. The metal framework of the Bay moat cover is proceeding.

Last edited:
As we all suspected, they have stopped work on the flooring of the (exterior) York moat area and have moved into the (heated) East Front Moat where they have made very good progress laying the granite flooring in the centre section. They also appear to be tidying up in the TTC level of the Bay Concourse so I think this reinforces the suspicion that sooner than later they will create a direct route (possibly a fenced-off pathway) from TTC across the newly tiled portion of the East Front moat through Bay Concourse to the rest of Union. Peering into the 'Leather Shop Area" it looks as though they are working on the ceiling. The metal framework of the Bay moat cover is proceeding.

I've gotten my hopes up about that before. I ain't gonna do it again!

In an unusual sight, construction workers were busily working away in the bay st teamway following tonites raptors game. I cant say ive ever seen construction workers at that time of night

According to report below, to the Executive Ctte mtg next week; Metrolinx, while continuing 'friendly' negotiations with the City is moving to expropriate land/air rights it deems necessary for the Union Station Enhancement Project, package 1.

This is the project for new wide platforms to the south of the existing station and a new south concourse area.

According to report below, to the Executive Ctte mtg next week; Metrolinx, while continuing 'friendly' negotiations with the City is moving to expropriate land/air rights it deems necessary for the Union Station Enhancement Project, package 1.

This is the project for new wide platforms to the south of the existing station and a new south concourse area.

This should really help with East/West pedestrian flows through the station, something that is lacking now.

Back