Paging @DSC

I have found something for you to lobby to add to the Jersey Barrier enhancement project...............

The almost new railings on the stairs down from York and Front ..............need revitalizing.............err, replacement...............are these still under warranty?

Seriously...............rust, peeling paint, failing finish................this is embarrassingly crap!

View attachment 298365

View attachment 298366

It's like they didn't foresee the presence of road salt in the environ. Look at the corrosion at the base of the banister. SMH.

AoD

It's like they didn't foresee the presence of road salt in the environ. Look at the corrosion at the base of the banister. SMH.

AoD

Honestly, it looks like they spec'ed an indoor product for an outdoor environment.

I can't otherwise explain the extent of the failure of the finishes so early on.

The black-painted metal should have been powder-coated; it certainly doesn't appears to have been.

I doubt very much that there's any corrosion-resistant treatment at all.

It doesn't look the brass finish had any proper sealer on it either.

If it did; it was a crap product.

I mean I'm sure Metrolinx/the city's constant total overapplication of salt is a contributing factor as well.

It doesn't help, but I am more inclined to lay blame on the choice of materials - it should have been reasonably foreseen by architects/contractors that location will see application of salt for de-icing purposes given the lack of any built-in snowmelt systems.

AoD

Any update on the new chandeliers in the Great Hall? Anyone know who is manufacturing them?
If there were an update it would be here! Though City posted a tender call for the new Great Hall lights a couple of yeas ago, it was cancelled so I suspect it needs to be re-posted and has not yet been awarded. I assume lights are last thing to do there so it will be a year or more....

Did they put new exterior lighting fixtures outside the northwest entrance on front street? I travelled past and noticed something looked different. Perhaps this was it...

Did they put new exterior lighting fixtures outside the northwest entrance on front street? I travelled past and noticed something looked different. Perhaps this was it...
You may be right. They DID put new (or returned) lights at NE corner entrance in the fall (photos somewhere above in this thread) and I noticed what looked like new 'brackets at NW corner a few weeks ago.

EDIT: I walked to Union today on my daily walk-about and YES!

IMG_0347.JPG

Last edited:
I was in Union today and it looked like 'they' were polishing the terrazzo floors in the Bay Concourse - the "final polish"?? It also seemed from the escalators going to the TTC that they are creating a barricaded passageway in the Bay Concourse area but I am not sure.

The work on the granite floor of the Bay Moat is moving along, they are now at the Bay Street sidewalk side of the south end of it (at the teamway.) Getting there!

Isnt Bondfield bankrupt? Can we set their signs ablaze and forget that the joke of a company ever existed in the first place (of course not condoning arson, but if it happens to catch fire in a dumpster oh well).

Back