Sorry. Haven’t been on in awhile.
Nothing to be sorry for; new pics looking out to and in from the Bay moat doors. They were polishing the floors in Bay concourse a week or so ago so it may actually open sooner than later. (Their contracts seem to have 'deadlines' in quarters so I suspect we will see a flurry of things getting finished between now and Match 31.)

Noticed today that the doors leading to the east wing City of Toronto offices (@ Bay & Front) were shrouded in orange tarp so I suspect they are being replaced. A few pages back someone was justifiably complaining about the state of the doors leading to the west wing offices (Metrolinx) @ York & Front were in a poor state; I assume they will be replaced next.

Paging @DSC

I have found something for you to lobby to add to the Jersey Barrier enhancement project...............

The almost new railings on the stairs down from York and Front ..............need revitalizing.............err, replacement...............are these still under warranty?

Seriously...............rust, peeling paint, failing finish................this is embarrassingly crap!

View attachment 298365

View attachment 298366
For some reason Canadians still use painted/powder coated steel for outdoor fixtures. Somehow the people that write construct specifications haven't figured out salt + steel = rust.

Coming to General Government Committee next week. From what I heard from Joe Cressy's office a month or so ago, there are plans to replace them 'later in 2021" so we may get something 'on the record' about this.

GL21.29
ACTION​
Ward: 24​
Concrete Barriers at Union Station
Origin
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie​
Recommendations
Councillor Paul Ainslie recommends that:

1. The General Government and Licensing Committee request the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services report to the April 26, 2021 meeting of the General Government and Licensing Committee on a timeline and plan for the remove of the concrete barriers placed as a security measure in front of Union Station.​
Summary
Concrete Barriers were previously set up on April 23, 2018 around Union station as part of increased vehicle mitigation measures, as the threat level was high in the wake of a vehicle-ramming attack in North York that same day.​
Background Information
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie on Concrete Barriers at Union Station
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-164935.pdf)​

Coming to General Government Committee next week. From what I heard from Joe Cressy's office a month or so ago, there are plans to replace them 'later in 2021" so we may get something 'on the record' about this.

GL21.29
ACTION​
Ward: 24​
Concrete Barriers at Union Station
Origin
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie​
Recommendations
Councillor Paul Ainslie recommends that:

1. The General Government and Licensing Committee request the Deputy City Manager, Corporate Services report to the April 26, 2021 meeting of the General Government and Licensing Committee on a timeline and plan for the remove of the concrete barriers placed as a security measure in front of Union Station.​
Summary
Concrete Barriers were previously set up on April 23, 2018 around Union station as part of increased vehicle mitigation measures, as the threat level was high in the wake of a vehicle-ramming attack in North York that same day.​
Background Information
(March 12, 2021) Letter from Councillor Paul Ainslie on Concrete Barriers at Union Station
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/gl/bgrd/backgroundfile-164935.pdf)​

I wonder if they will get rid of the ones at Bremner and Lake Shore as well? They put the gate up there to reopen traffic but the thing is permanently closed off.

I wonder if they will get rid of the ones at Bremner and Lake Shore as well? They put the gate up there to reopen traffic but the thing is permanently closed off.
That may have to do with security measures from either the NHL or the NBA or both and may not be something the city of Toronto can change.

Anyone knows when the Bay concourse will be open? I saw part of it on Sunday and it looks like almost finished. The screen and the Presto readers are operating there.

Anyone knows when the Bay concourse will be open? I saw part of it on Sunday and it looks like almost finished. The screen and the Presto readers are operating there.
Yes, it is certainly looking 'openable' but I wonder if GO will decide to keep it closed until passenger volumes increase. Why staff two concourses when one is far from crowded?

We are likely a few months away from offices starting to return given the rapidly accelerating vaccination program, so it may not be that long anyway. GO will likely start to see noticeable rebounding ridership by the fall.

Yes, it is certainly looking 'openable' but I wonder if GO will decide to keep it closed until passenger volumes increase. Why staff two concourses when one is far from crowded?

I can see them opening it to divert the flow of traffic between the two concourses. They will eventually need to work on the Great Hall and having the ability to walk from one side of the station to the other underneath it makes the job alot easier.

I can see them opening it to divert the flow of traffic between the two concourses. They will eventually need to work on the Great Hall and having the ability to walk from one side of the station to the other underneath it makes the job alot easier.
Yes, it is obviously going to open sooner than later (and you can see from the escalators that they have already created a designated pathway) and it may well open as a passageway before it opens as a ticket-selling and train boarding concourse. The contract calls for quarterly updates and there is a tendency to see things completed just as each quarter ends. The first quarter of 2021 ends next Tuesday.

Long time UT reader, first time poster... just popped in to say these barricades were gone when I cycled through Maple Leafe Square last week. Was pleasantly surprised.

Back