Is there any place to sit and kill an hour over coffee while waiting for a train or for someone to arrive?
The food court with McDonald’s and Tim Hortons, Balzacs in the UPX terminal, and the rest of the locations are grab-and-go.

Also St Pancras has a glass roof and good lighting, the great hall is a bit dark by comparison and not really elevated to enjoy a meal without commuters rushing by beside you.

Also St Pancras has a glass roof and good lighting, the great hall is a bit dark by comparison and not really elevated to enjoy a meal without commuters rushing by beside you.
Well the restaurant area will technically be elevated and above passing commuters, but you’re right about it being dark; what happened to the three chandeliers that were going to be installed? If I remember correctly the roof has the things that will hold them up already placed, I’ll see if I can get a photo.

Platform 3 work was completed and reopened in advance of the start of the Union Station Enhancement Project. This package of work, scheduled to start in mid to late February will take the two most southern platforms (24/25 and 26/27) out of service for a number of years while a new south platform, new staircases, and new concourse are constructed.

Interesting, didnt know platform 3 was related to usep. I thought 20/21 was needed.

financial close is in february i guess?

It references cast iron collars at the base of columns.............

Do you see a picture of these?

If it's in their shots I'm missing it.
Doesn't look any different than any other of the 23 platforms. Only difference I can see is that it's next to the exterior wall...

Reactions: DSC
I’d be surprised if you can find one person waiting for a trains at Union that knows what columns they’re talking about. Or the smoke vents for a train that will be electrified. Recognize there is a an importance to heritage, but against the piles of other work, can’t the money be spent on something other that restoring the facade of an old train bridge then ordering a clear glass bridge so this old train bridge is still visible…

I’d be surprised if you can find one person waiting for a trains at Union that knows what columns they’re talking about. Or the smoke vents for a train that will be electrified. Recognize there is a an importance to heritage, but against the piles of other work, can’t the money be spent on something other that restoring the facade of an old train bridge then ordering a clear glass bridge so this old train bridge is still visible…
As with this tin shed, the only reason why it's heritage is because it's old. Theres not much aesthetically pleasing with this when tied in with the new glass box. Are these smoke vents still functional? As for the column you'll need a historical plaque to identify this piece of metal

Since the the Great Hall lightning has been brought up again, I decided to go some searching and came across this posting. Is this the winner of the contract? This is the first time in years that I’ve come across this and a conceptual design.

https://www.dgalight.com/toronto-union-station

ACA3767C-B6C4-483E-90EB-329D38551C3D.png

4D08F32F-9B61-47A7-96E5-77B3AC6CE79B.png

8B1CE9D1-EADC-4DC7-8584-D3D5FCE70D4B.png

My appologies for the poor quality. Was only able to do screen grabs.

Exciting, I always wondered why platform 3 was closed; I just assumed it wasn’t needed or it would be hard to organize trains with the UPX terminal sharing the same track.

Back