IMG_0278.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0291.jpg
    IMG_0291.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 608
Are they going to lower the floor of the section of the moat that is underneath the bridge/plaza in front of the centre of Union Station?

Wait. My understanding was that the current concourse level of Union Station Subway will be at the same level as the lowered Union (GO?) concourse. Which is currently about 5 or so steps above the TTC concourse. The moat will be lowered to this level as well.

The new basement level will be level (redundant much? lol) with the subway level of the TTC station with direct access to the Yonge line.

This has changed?

WH:

Nothing has changed. If you open up the 2nd page of the site plan I have posted - the Bay (current GO) concourse will be lowered so that it is level with the TTC Union Subway Station entrance at the moat. However, the east (York) and centre concourse (as well as the area under the bridge) will be at a different level.

AoD

my understanding has always been that you access the TTC From the Shopping concourse..

and some quick reseach shows that I am correct. Access to the TTC will be from the retail level, the main concourse level will be level with the existing VIA Concourse.http://stevemunro.ca/?p=685

Last edited:
innsertnamehere:

Indeed - though you really need to look at the fine details of the retail level:

http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/retail3d.jpg

Notice that the York and Centre concourse (light pink) isn't on the same level as Bay and the rest of the retail concourse (yellow).

AoD

??? I'm confused.

There are 2 levels, the concourse level and Retail level.

Retail level is below both the York and Bay Concourse levels.

Bay and York Concourse Levels are at the same level as the existing VIA Concourse

Below the Bay concourse, on the retail level, will be the Connection to the TTC.

Ah, I see what the problem is - terminology - what I was referring to is the Bay and Centre "Promenade" - not the new GO concourse that is above the retail level.

AoD

Why not reference the plans included on the dataBase page linked above? They show what is going to happen.

The "Front Street East Moat" outside the subway station exit will be lowered to Union subway station mezzanine level.

Stairs to the west will take you up to the "Front Street Centre Moat" level, which is the same as that for "Front Street West Moat", the "Front Street Promenade", and the "York Street Promenade". None of those sections are being lowered.

If you go south of the Front Street East Moat, you will enter the new lowered "Bay Street Promenade" at the same level. Continuing south and then west, the "Bay Street Pedestrian Retail", the "Centre Retail", and the "York Street Pedestrian Retail" are all on this new lower level. To get from this lowered level to anywhere north, south, east or west of it except for the subway station, you will have to take stairs or escalators. That includes getting to the new GO Concourses or to the ACC or the sidewalks on York or Bay.

UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg

A lot of effort is put into getting good and comprehensive info into the dataBase images. It's worth consulting them!

Attachments

• UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg
    UnionStnPromNewPlan960.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 730
I was consulting them! We just were using different terminology, I was calling the upper floor the concourse, and Alvin was calling the lower level the concourse. Thus the confusion.

One thing I am concerned about however is the stairs between the two levels. It appears it will largely be 3 escalators right beside each other in each direction. Is that correct? I think that may become a choke point, especially since people just love to stop walking and just stand there when riding escalators.

Last edited:

Back