Okay, but what you showed was an Obentoyasan - a kiosk for bento boxed lunches. You *might* have been able to get a small personal sized carton of milk there, but not a full 1L or more meant for a family.

I agree that stuff in Union closes early though. It would be nice if a few places, especially something like a convenience store, were open the entire time trains/buses are running.
Not the best example I suppose, but I am sure I have seen convenience kiosks on platforms. I don't think they'd have any family size items either.
Now that I think about it, do they even sell large size drinks at station convenience stores?
K-FamilyMart_platform_of_Kintetsu_Tomio_station_store.JPG
K-FamilyMart_in_front_of_No.8_platform_on_the_groundsurface_of_Kintetsu_Uehonmachi_station_store.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:K-FamilyMart_platform_of_Kintetsu_Tomio_station_store.JPG
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...face_of_Kintetsu_Uehonmachi_station_store.JPG

Not the best example I suppose, but I am sure I have seen convenience kiosks on platforms. I don't think they'd have any family size items either.
Now that I think about it, do they even sell large size drinks at station convenience stores?
Why would they? Stores at stations are for serving passengers, especially those looking for snacks on their travels. I wouldn't expect any store at a station to sell anything over 750ml.

I can't remember every single store when I was at Berlin Hbf but I don't think anything there sold anything full size. The convenience stores in Berlin Hbf/Koln Hbf were similar to what Union has on the GO concourse - small convenience stores selling cans and bottles.

Last edited:
Why would they? Stores at stations are for serving passengers, especially those looking for snacks on their travels. I wouldn't expect any store at a station to sell anything over 750ml.
My response was stemmed from a post commenting on the lack of groceries options at Union station in the late evening hours.
However, if you look at stores at the renovated station: LCBO, Sephora, Decathlon; a convenience store/mini grocer (that closes late) doesn't look out of place.

Reactions: PL1

I can't remember every single store when I was at Berlin Hbf but I don't think anything there sold anything full size. The convenience stores in Berlin Hbf/Koln Hbf were similar to what Union has on the GO concourse - small convenience stores selling cans and bottles.

This appears to be inside Berlin Hbf:

Zurich Hbf has at least two:

I don't think it's that uncommon.

In general in my experience travelling a bit in Switzerland grocery stores at train stations are very common.

My response was stemmed from a post commenting on the lack of groceries options at Union station in the late evening hours.
However, if you look at stores at the renovated station: LCBO, Sephora, Decathlon; a convenience store/mini grocer (that closes late) doesn't look out of place.
Agreed. Not sure where the best place for it to go would be but the option would be nice. Something open later than 8/9pm, especially considering VIA trains if they run on time arrive after 10PM.

In general in my experience travelling a bit in Switzerland grocery stores at train stations are very common.
Good shout. Berlin Hbf is incredible and I recommend anyone who likes transport even remotely to visit it at some point. Fantastic station in every way.

These are all stations with a large number of inter-urban trains and it would certainly make sense to 'stock-up' with provisions before setting out on a longer trip. Most trains at Union are local with less need for nourishment en route! As was suggested earlier, if one is going to one's suburban home and needs food/drink it would be far better to buy it on arrival. I assume the reason there are no convenience stores at Union is that nobody thinks they can run one profitably.

These are all stations with a large number of inter-urban trains and it would certainly make sense to 'stock-up' with provisions before setting out on a longer trip. Most trains at Union are local with less need for nourishment en route! As was suggested earlier, if one is going to one's suburban home and needs food/drink it would be far better to buy it on arrival. I assume the reason there are no convenience stores at Union is that nobody thinks they can run one profitably.

Discussions have been had about some variation of a grocer in Union.

It seems pretty universal to me - not so much on the platform, but in the station.

Most London train stations (the termini at least) all seem to have a Marks and Spencer's Express these days - often open to 11 pm or midnight. Looking at Paddington for example, there's both a M&S and a Sainsbury's Local; the biggest seller is could be pre-packaged sandwiches - though on one occasion I brought some M&S clothes in St. Pancras (or was it King's Cross)! Not entirely universal - offhand,

I can't recall seeing one in either Charing Cross or Marylebone stations.

Last edited:
Well you can't really buy groceries on arrival at most GO stations as there is no retail at all there. Unfortunately.

Well you can't really buy groceries on arrival at most GO stations as there is no retail at all there. Unfortunately.
Yes, I know that but that does not mean it would make any more sense to open a convenience store at Union. As I said above " I assume the reason there are no convenience stores at Union is that nobody thinks they can run one profitably." and I assume this is even more so at stand-alone GO stations.

Back