The argument on that will never end. It's April Fools' Day, not April Fools Morning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/wh...n-the-case-for-24-hours-of-pranking-1.3016513
There is much argument about this. This from The Independent (UK) may explain why "April Fools is past and gone and you're the fool for carrying it on" is still regularly quoted by my UK relatives:
" Why does the tradition expire at noon?

That feature probably relates to the customary boundaries of the old renewal festivals, which limit the mayhem to a very strict timeframe. The source of Britain's deadline might be the 17th century's well-named Shig-Shag day, when celebrants put oak sprigs in their hats to show loyalty to the monarchy, in reference to Charles II's hiding in an oak tree. Those who failed to observe the custom could only be ridiculed until midday. These days, anyone who plays a prank after noon is supposedly an "April fool" themselves; this nice observation may not seem so crucial to anyone who has been custard pied at 12.01pm, but it distinguishes our version of the ritual from that found in other countries."

By the way, anyone wanting to prance around with a oak sprig in their hat should do so on May 29 when Shig-Shag Day was celebrated. UT-ers,, PREPARE!

The argument on that will never end. It's April Fools' Day, not April Fools Morning.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/wh...n-the-case-for-24-hours-of-pranking-1.3016513
If the entirety of meaning in everything we partake in was captured in its title, then law books would only need name the statute, we'd actually go full-on Victorian on a certain queen's observed birthday, and The Toronto Sun would be renamed The Olde York Family Compact Self-Absorbed Xenophobic Homophobic Racist Sexist Garbage Rag. Since that's too long a title, and since just about every tradition we have includes more than what's absolutely obvious in its name (Boxing Day? Put the gloves away.), it's not entirely unheard of that something referred to as a "day" might have a few more boundaries attached to it than can be summed up in just three words.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fools'_Day
A study in the 1950s, by folklorists Iona and Peter Opie, found that in the UK, and in countries whose traditions derived from the UK, the joking ceased at midday. This continues to be the current practice with the holiday ceasing at noon, after which time it is no longer acceptable to play jokes. Ergo, a person playing a joke after midday is considered the "April fool" themselves.

That's the first time in 49 years that I have ever heard this. Guess I live under a rock...
No, Kitchener.

Okay, I jest, but hey, it's another you-learn-something-new-every-day moment: there's so much to know, we can never be sure we haven't missed something. In the end, when major media outlets opt to produce an April Fools' story, it's always in the morning so as to not be accused of wandering into disputed territory. Ironically, for something that breaks the rules of reporting, there are rules governing its practice.

In recent years, there's been less tolerance for media outlets to produce April Fools' stories as 1) most of those stories remain forever accessible through the internet, and people could easily miss the publication time when reading it later, and 2) April Fools' stories have traditionally been meant as a harmless prank either just to make the reader laugh or to get them to think… but they have now become entangled with the huge amount fake news that's out there which is meant to confuse and subvert.

In UrbanToronto's case, it's been three years since our last April Fools' story. The previous two years to this one, April Fools' fell on weekend days when we don't publish. This year, wth everything from various government administrations already sounding like parody on practically a daily basis, it seemed like the wrong time to dive in with another parody article.

This year, wth everything from various government administrations already sounding like parody on practically a daily basis, it seemed like the wrong time to dive in with another parody article.

Reminds me of an article I just read that said SNL's take on Trump's recent doings are less of a parody and more of a recap now because how outrageous he can be.

There are no tarps this morning at 9:30. Still full view into Bay Concourse from the leather shop bypass.

But ya, not a whole lot of noticeable progress visible from that area.

I was recently down at union station and they put tarps up to prevent people from seeing into the bay concourse
They have been there for MONTHS - though they sometimes come unattached so one can see in. You can 'always' get a view from top of the interior metal staircase and see that the ceiling is getting finished and they are working on the flooring.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the hoarding and tarps are down between the Great Hall and VIA Concourse, beautiful natural light now flooding the passageway once again through the exposed class ceiling!
YES! It looks amazing and will be better still when they remove plywood from the side "aisles".

Last edited:

Back