With a Danish Pastry House in Union Station already... is anyone really waiting for Cinnabon? Seems like a place with Ruth's Chris waiting for Kelsey's.

100% agree. The Hoj (cinnamon bun) at the Danish Pastry House is superior to Cinnabon in every way.

Last edited:
There is no nostalgic smell from the Danish Pastry House. The old nostalgic Union Station smell was from Cinnabon. The smell. THE SMELL!
Would the new finishings at Union Station make the smell travel further or less? Of course, that depends on the placement of the store.

Well, who knew! We are apparently getting a new subway station at Union :->

This just posted on TOInView

Project: Station Work

Details: Construction of new subway station.

Duration: 2022 - 2023

Last Updated: Jun 14, 2022.

Project #3.9(7134)/R1-17

Owner: Toronto Transit Commission

416-389-4741
edmund.tumaneng@ttc.ca

Looks to me like it's something to do with the Line 2 extension, and I'm guessing they used Metrolinx's office address instead of the site address.

On the bright side, Ontario Line south station construction is in there since April; 2022 to 2028 or 2030, depending on location. Tunnel is 2023 to 2027.

Looks to me like it's something to do with the Line 2 extension, and I'm guessing they used Metrolinx's office address instead of the site address.
I doubt that, the person noted as responsible is from TTC and the time-frame is 2022-23. It is some sort of work at Union Station (maybe the Bay streetcar tunnel work) but clearly not well described. I emailed Mr Tumaneng asking about the 'new subway station' he is in charge of, so we will (maybe) see if he can shed any light.

Last edited:
I doubt that, the person noted as responsible is from TTC and the time-frame is 2022-23. It is some sort of work at Union Station (maybe the Bay streetcar tunnel work) but clearly not well described.
Good point.

At the point the dot is (which seems to represent 65 Front Street West), the entrance to the teamway leading to the most western Union TTC subway entrance is still hoarded off. Perhaps they are putting up some new signage ... :)

• Haha
Reactions: DSC
I just got this, slight, update from the City on the damned Jersey Barriers. Clearly not a high priority!

"You may be aware that Union Station is a National Historic Building and the designation requires the City to obtain review and approvals from Parks Canada to ensure that any permanent measures under consideration are consistent with the heritage principles applied to National Historic Buildings. Intergovernmental coordination of design related items can take time.

Union Station also sits above a Toronto Transit Commission subway structure and comes in close proximity to a number of key underground utilities that must be factored into the design of permanent measures, in addition to designing a permanent measure that is pedestrian friendly and code compliant. Minimization of impacts to emergency responders, pedestrians, businesses, taxis and ride shares are also factors that the City looks for the design to consider. Also of importance is that from 2020 to 2021, the City's response to the COVID-19 pandemic delayed several projects, including replacement of the jersey barriers.

Notwithstanding the above, the City of Toronto has selected a design and is proceeding through regulatory approvals and preparation of the solicitation documentation. Funding for the replacement of the jersey barriers will be sought through the 2023 budget process. Upon budget approval, construction is expected to commence in the second quarter of 2023 with a targeted completion date in April of 2024. Waterproofing work in the surrounding area will be coordinated with the replacement of the jersey barriers in order to minimize multiple impacts.

I can appreciate that from your perspective that it may appear that this project is moving slowly, however, staff are coordinating a significant number of elements to ensure that the project is executed with minimal impacts."
I'm in Milan right now. I can assure everyone here that the jersey barrier problem here is just as bad Toronto. They're all over the prime tourist areas, especially on the pedestrian streets between the Duomo and Sempione Park. So while that doesn't excuse Toronto, the grass isn't always greener.

Then again, Milan has a much higher design standard for public space and their central streets aren't cluttered with overhead power lines, so it puts Toronto to shame in other ways.

This just posted on TOInView

Project: Station Work

Details: Construction of new subway station.

Duration: 2022 - 2023

Last Updated: Jun 14, 2022.

Project #3.9(7134)/R1-17

Owner: Toronto Transit Commission

416-389-4741
edmund.tumaneng@ttc.ca

Mr Tumaneng has now told me that this project is to install a new emergency generator in the moat area. And I was hoping for a whole new subway station. Ah well ......

Back