Really excited for this
IMG_4343.jpeg

Coming to Executive this week https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-240117.pdf

Union Station Enhancement Project

Upgrades to Union Station are being executed in two phases to accommodate the planned increases in GO service. While Metrolinx has confirmed the dates listed below, they noted that the schedules are currently under review and updates are expected byQ2 2024.The first phase is the Union Station Enhancement Project (USEP), which includes the addition of a new south passenger concourse, new tracks, wider platforms south of the existing train shed, as well as other platform-level enhancements being delivered through an Alliance delivery model and was awarded to ONTrack Alliance in January2022. The Project is well into construction, with excavation and demolition work on going for the new concourse. Once the required depths are reached, crews will begin constructing the concourse concrete slabs, columns, and stairs to access the new platforms.

To accommodate track expansion work, both the Lower Jarvis Street Bridge and the Lower Sherbourne Street Bridge must be extended to the south end of the existing structures. Enhancements to the underside of the bridges, such as improved lighting, architectural finishings and other public realm improvements, are currently being refined through detailed design to improve the pedestrian experience and to provide a better connection between the waterfront and the downtown. The anticipated completion date for this work is expected for late 2026.

The second phase of improvements at Union Station is part of the OnCorr project. OnCorr works at Union Station will widen existing platforms in the train shed and provide additional vertical access points to manage planned increases in service levels on the GO network. ONxpress have started due diligence for this project to inform their final design.

Question about the great hall: the section near front street that seems to be cordoned off by temporary walls but has also been there as long as I can remember, what is/was that? It almost seems permanent, with art and security cameras mounted on it, but there's no rhyme or reason for it...

Question about the great hall: the section near front street that seems to be cordoned off by temporary walls but has also been there as long as I can remember, what is/was that? It almost seems permanent, with art and security cameras mounted on it, but there's no rhyme or reason for it...

The section where the counter used to be on the north side?

It is a future restaurant. (In the olden days it was Ticket Wickets.)

Here it is in ca 1980

1698870456207.png

Last edited:
Here’s some concept art for what the space is going to look like, I think it’s completion is in limbo until a restaurant rents the space out, but maybe someone here can email the city of toronto to find out?
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 11.01.51 AM.png
IMG_1725.jpeg
IMG_2476.jpeg

I'm not keen on tables out in the middle of the great hall, though most of the foot traffic runs on the lower concourses the great hall needs to accommodate free movement through it.

I still think that a fine dining (steakhouse etc) restaurant belongs at union.

I'm not keen on tables out in the middle of the great hall, though most of the foot traffic runs on the lower concourses the great hall needs to accommodate free movement through it.

I still think that a fine dining (steakhouse etc) restaurant belongs at union.
I think the tables in the body of the Great Hall (in the rendering (yes, rendering) above were for a "special event' - I agree they would certainly not work there in rush hours!

I think the tables in the body of the Great Hall (in the rendering (yes, rendering) above were for a "special event' - I agree they would certainly not work there in rush hours!

Honestly these types of intrusive use of the Great Hall should be kept to a minimum - it's fundamentally antithetical to the concept of it being a grand public space.

AoD

Back