The good news is this elevator exists (next to the TD behind the escalators) and goes to the promenade level and the new east wing. The bad news is this only elevator that does all three levels in the station, and there isn't a bank of two or three, there is only a single one. Actually that is a concern I have with the accessibility design in most of the stations... the assumption that one is good enough and no backup required.
It is also VERY poorly 'advertised' - particularly from the Great Hall level. of the East Wing.

The good news is this elevator exists (next to the TD behind the escalators) and goes to the promenade level and the new east wing. The bad news is this only elevator that does all three levels in the station, and there isn't a bank of two or three, there is only a single one. Actually that is a concern I have with the accessibility design in most of the stations... the assumption that one is good enough and no backup required.

FWIW, my understanding is that on a go-forward basis, all new subway/metro stations are to have 2 elevators for each journey component.

The TTC is also currently working on Easier Access 4 which will include recommendations on existing stations in need of redundant and/or additional elevators. (additional meaning serving a secondary entrance/exit)

The sh*t show continues...

Darn, the ceiling and carriageway isn't included. Bollards, not just good steel ones envisioned in the original design of the whole square, but concrete ones as well which "I'm sure" are really getting a publicly viewable design review.

Darn, the ceiling and carriageway isn't included. Bollards, not just good steel ones envisioned in the original design of the whole square, but concrete ones as well which "I'm sure" are really getting a publicly viewable design review.

They are going award the Tender in 2024. Which means construction wont even start till 2025. Given Toronto's track record, I dont think Construction will even end till 2028 at the earliest. Also the new South Concourse, wont finish in 2026. Probably 2030.

So another 7 years of construction at Union and thats not including the new platform re-alignments. So maybe 2040, when Construction here finally ends.

So another 7 years of construction at Union and thats not including the new platform re-alignments. So maybe 2040, when Construction here finally ends.
By then there'd be a future project of some kind. Maybe deep-level platforms like what they'd talked about a decade ago - or rebuilding the streetcar loop.

By then there'd be a future project of some kind. Maybe deep-level platforms like what they'd talked about a decade ago - or rebuilding the streetcar loop.
Fixed that for you! :->

By then there would have been a decade or more of talk about many future projects of some kind. Maybe deep-level platforms like what they'd talked about a decade ago - or the still ongoing rebuilding of the streetcar loop and the replacement of the Jersey Barriers which received heritage status in 2040..

Streetcar loop should be before that. I also think the platforms won’t take too long since it’s basically just filling in tracks and probably repaving the platforms, staircases aren’t being widened or anything

Streetcar loop should be before that. I also think the platforms won’t take too long since it’s basically just filling in tracks and probably repaving the platforms, staircases aren’t being widened or anything
Should, yes. Will .... ???

By deep level platforms, I mean the ones they had proposed under the existing platforms and existing concourses.

I'm hoping that this doesn't include the invention of a new wayfinding flavour. If we can focus on the Metrolinx standard, maybe putting a little more thought into what direction arrows point in various circumstances, that would be great. The RFP should have a skill testing set of questions:

Answer the following using ↖⬆↗⬅⤵➡↙⬇↘:
1. The destination is down the stairs directly in front of this sign.
2. The destination is behind you if you are facing this sign.
3. The destination is up the stairs to the right of this sign.
4. The destination is down the stairs to the left of this sign.
5. The destination is ahead of this sign.
6. The destination is ahead of this sign on the right.
7. The destination is to the left of this sign.
8. The destination is up the stairs directly ahead of this sign.

You would think this is obvious but unfortunately there are examples on the latest signs on the Eglinton line where they got this wrong.

Here in Toronto we have a proud tradition of terrible wayfinding.
1699466278354.png

Albion Rd? Forward and to the right.
Weston Rd? Forward and to the left, but the road goes down, so we have to have a down arrow, apparently. It's right under this sign, get it?

Drivers coming off the 401 ramp have about 63 metres of distance, under 5 seconds at speed limit, to make a decision based on this sign.

I'm sure the city will find money to rebuild the Union Station loop by around 2040. So once they finally find that money, get ready for the Bay Teamway to get hacked up again, so i'm sure things wont wrap up at Union until 2050.

Back