Retail Permit News:

1704392644325.png

That's this:

And another:

1704392714833.png

Was looking at one of the new maps they just released again today, I was always under the impression that the unit where the Queenston is/was supposed to go in was one massive unit, but it turns out to be two:View attachment 530493
Also find it interesting that they labeled what I think is a construction office on the left of the LCBO

Kipling is the Property Management Office that has always had a space carved out for them when the Bay Concourse was under construction. As for the Queenston space 42 and 43, it was supposed to 1 entire unit, and now 43 will be replaced with a smaller retailer that will be finalized shortly that didn't require that much space to operate. Perhaps that burger joint from the States that rhymes with bake rack will occupy one of those spaces?

Last edited:
Toronto's financial district still hasn't recovered from the pandemic — with one glaring exception

Last week, the University of Toronto's School of Cities released a study which examined recovery rates from spring 2019 to spring 2023 for 119 buildings located in the Toronto Financial District. Most buildings are office space (45 per cent), mixed-used office and retail (33 per cent), and retail only (11 per cent). The study used location-based data from cellphones to count the daily visitors in each building.

The study found the vast majority of office and retail buildings have not recovered to their pre-pandemic levels due to hybrid work, but most of the eight hospitality buildings tracked had a recovery rate of more than 100 per cent. Transit hubs such as Union Station also had a strong recovery rate, as did CIBC Square, which has a regional bus terminal on its ground floor.

CIBC Square had a strong recovery rate vs 2019??

I'm at Bay and King every day, and the fact that the banks have moved to 2-day a week hybrid has really emptied out the main bank towers (most of the big law firms occupying many floors in those towers are 2-3 days a week as well).

The Path is pretty busy Tues-Thurs, but still nothing like pre-pandemic levels, and a lot of the retail has left. Going out for lunch on Fridays is glorious now because you can get into any restaurant you want without a reservation.

CIBC Square had a strong recovery rate vs 2019??

I'm at Bay and King every day, and the fact that the banks have moved to 2-day a week hybrid has really emptied out the main bank towers (most of the big law firms occupying many floors in those towers are 2-3 days a week as well).

The Path is pretty busy Tues-Thurs, but still nothing like pre-pandemic levels, and a lot of the retail has left. Going out for lunch on Fridays is glorious now because you can get into any restaurant you want without a reservation.
nothing lasts forever

time to adapt

I found it hard to believe this claim given that CIBC square only opened in 2021! Haven't read the article (paywalled) but would be curious to know if they accounted for this.
well to put it into perspective my GF works there and theyve recently started to enforce 2 days a week and a third every month end.... i guess its better than optional attendance lol :rolleyes:

I found it hard to believe this claim given that CIBC square only opened in 2021! Haven't read the article (paywalled) but would be curious to know if they accounted for this.
CIBC Square probably has a strong recovery rate because most CIBC employees now use it as their office at least once a week. CIBC has given up leases on many other office buildings in the Financial District such as offices in 161 Bay St (TD Tower), complexes in Melinda Street, and the heritage building in 21 Front St, among others.

FYI our group at CIBC works at this building once a week, but starting this year, is now being required to report on Fridays too every third of the month. So that is 1.25 days a week hybrid I guess :)

A question for anyone who works downtown. Is your employer asking it's employees to show up at the office more? Are you noticing more people in the downtown core during work hours?

A question for anyone who works downtown. Is your employer asking it's employees to show up at the office more? Are you noticing more people in the downtown core during work hours?

I work midtown. The mandate is twice a week, and the rumour is that it will be 3 days a week by spring.

We just started coming back to the office in November. 2 days a week.
Granted only one of those days is at our Downtown office, the other is at the Brampton office.

We are 2 days a week - I typically do 3, but not always. Most of my coworkers stick to 2 though. Even with me doing 2-3 days a week I had one of the highest “attendance rates” in the company for 2023.

A lot of my friends are 4-5 days a week, but that’s pretty unusual I believe.

Friends who work at Metrolinx's head office are now in the office 3x per week as of the New Year.

And a friend in the insurance industry has been told the same, with many of his underlings having been in the office that much since the fall. It seems that whole industry is quite a bit further along with back-to-the-office than most others.

Dan

Back