Great progress with the Union Subway station. They have hollowed out the moat where temporarily new stairs will be built to take people from the old GO Concourse to the TTC mezzanine and PATH, and the concrete structure in this area is pretty much complete from the track level to the street. Once passengers are moved from their current path to the stairs to be built here the construction would presumably shift eastward. I wonder if they will shift traffic to this area before any finishes start leaving finished until the structure is complete, of deliver finishes piece by piece?

union-station-rev-large.jpg

Credits to Toronto City Life blog which looks at the picture and sees progress just starting... which seeing as the concrete has set on the top level wouldn't be quite right.

Wait, that's the new TTC concourse, right? So does that mean the platform is already in place below it? This must be way further along than what I had been thinking

Wait, that's the new TTC concourse, right? So does that mean the platform is already in place below it? This must be way further along than what I had been thinking
. As the picture shows, they are reaching ground level in the area west of Bay Street so at least the structure of the platform must be in place. They are still digging at Bay Street and further east so possibly they have not finished the platform/tunnel there.
If I read their project website correctly some of the new parts will be open in fall 2013 - though the whole thing will not be 100% finished until later.

If you visit on a weekend when the south platform is closed you are likely to catch a glimpse of some of the yellow hoarding at track level removed and the empty space visible behind. Because they need to keep things running the section here will open to pedestrians (still accessing the centre platform) and the current access point in the moat immediately east will close. At that point the second platform will be built through that section.

I wonder how they'll work the relocation of the existing stairwells on the centre platform then. When the new western half of the concourse opens up will the stairwells already be shifted to the south, or is that going to take place in the final stage of construction, once the south platform is open? The logistics on this must be a nightmare for some poor project manager

The new platform, more-or-less complete, will be open this fall.

Once they have done that, they will get to work on rebuilding and repositioning the stairways and elevators of the existing platform. This will take another year, and is not something that they can do now as they need to maintain some access to the south side of the current platform. Once the new one is open, they can remove the platform edges on that side (most of which have been replaced with temporary wooden ones in anticipation), build a temporary barrier preventing people from falling off the south side of that platform, and then get to the major structural work.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Is that what they've been doing along those platform edges? I was wondering.

Yup. Once the new platform is ready to be opened, a crew (or three) will come in the night before and pull all of the wooden edges down, and bolt up some sort of temporary barrier.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not sure if this works but it is worth a try. Image of the stairs under construction at TTC Union Station subway platform project.

IMG_20130422_175138.jpg

Back