They are two separate projects by different contractors. I would imagine that the engineers need to be able to sign off on the condition of the finished product and if there were wooden temporary stairs it would not meet engineering requirements. I'm not sure wooden stairs would last 2 to 3 years under then heavy traffic that those stairs see and even temporary stairs need some ability to direct water away from where it shouldn't be and provide load bearing support.

Agreed.

But if only for 3 years (or perhaps even 1 year until this area is closed for the Bay Concourse construction), why pour concrete steps, rather than just using steel and wood?

It doesn't seem like a big deal considering how many people go through there in a day.

I agree. The volume through here is so high that temporary solutions woodn't last for long.

IMG_4308_1-L.jpg

This photo dates from 2+ weeks ago - there are photos in mid to late April of the stairs already poured (See #299 as example).

This photo dates from 2+ weeks ago - there are photos in mid to late April of the stairs already poured (See #299 as example).
Still, it's interesting to see how much rebar is in their ... that's being built for decades of lifespan!

As I passed last night, I noticed that railings have now been bolted into place.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

As I passed last night, I noticed that railings have now been bolted into place.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Saw the site last night as well.

The post were core drill and epoxy grouted in place, since this is the standard way.

The sidewalk at the top was also pour as well going west into the tunnel area. It also connected to the stair from Front St.

Not sure if the stair off Front St will have an entrance with a stair into the platform concourse or this will be the new way. I could not see into that location to see what is plan for there.

They are also forming the area above the new entrance as well the west column. They will have that area pour concrete early this week.

May 8
The West stair from Front to the Moat and the new TTC entrance will have stairs to the concourses after all based on what I saw that day.

Only a small section of the new Moat sidewalk still had to be pour to all riders to get to the new west GO concourse this fall.

They were removing all the scaffolding at the new entrance when I was there now the concrete above the entrance has been pour.

I get the feeling they want to open this new entrance ASP.

They have closed off the walkway area to the streetcar loop and to the east with a new walkway that wasn't there a week ago.
8728662339_e63c4cce66_b.jpg

8729777602_92070f49d7_b.jpg

8729776286_a207824797_b.jpg

8728656111_7ce9e01dbc_b.jpg

8729774932_8c947de0be_b.jpg

8729771134_2300ed39dc_b.jpg

With a view into what? The utilities and mechanical up there? I figured they'd be finishing it with granite or limestone. It'll actually be a nice spot once it's done. With the stairs gone and the elevation of the moat lowered people should be able to move more quickly in/out of the subway, and with the extra height up to the new canopy it should feel very bright and open. If it's not too hectic with people coming and going it might even be a nice place for a little patio or cafe

I think they meant the covering of the moat was going to be glass. Which it will be, but that has nothing to do with the TTC second subway platform, for which this thread is about.

Last edited:

Back