It's going to be glass art, not transparent glass.

AoD

I recall seeing this image, so I wasn't aware that it will actually be a glass art wall. I hope it will be good.

subway-5102-14.jpg

Attachments

• subway-5102-14.jpg
    subway-5102-14.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3,058
Any updates on what time the first revenue service train will pull into the station and let off passengers on the new platform? I'd like to be on that train.

First train scheduled to leave the station and go up Yonge is 5.59am. The first arrival from the University side is 6.05am.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Too bad the partition they will be putting up to separate the Downsview bound platform from the Finch bound trains will not have retractable screen doors.

hongkongsunnybaypgdvp4.jpg

That's intentional. The goal of this second platform is to double the capacity of the station by splitting traffic into two separate platforms. If you gave people the option of using one or the other, the original platform with access to both lines would be much busier defeating the purpose of the new addition. It would also cause confusion. Once you see the new layout of the station, it'll make sense why they put up the partition and kept the platforms separate.

I walked by today and the site was buzzing with activity. Workers were applying finishing touches to the new concourse entrances and the Front street sidewalk entrances were being finished. The walls of the sidewalk entrances match the station's limestone appearance although it's probably precast concrete.

Last edited:
the walls are limestone, original from before the expansion (though not 1929 original from my understanding, 1954 original from when the subway first opened). They were carefully taken apart and are now being put back up.

Next this needs to be done with Yonge Station, so the eastbound travellers on Line 2 will be further down to transfer to Line 1.

Mon. details for Union Stn: 120 run deadheads to Union - departs at 5:59 am.121 run leaves St Patrick at 5:59 am - 1st train with customers

— @BradTTC

Diagram from the TTC explaining the new configuration:

BvGeYgFIMAAOvvT.png

It's unfortunate in all this that htey don't seem to have provided an exit at the southwest corner of Bay and Front, given the excavations were underneath this location - and all the pedestrian traffic that needlessly has to cross Bay to get to the subway, that could be diverted just east of Bay.

Final day with only one platform! I feel like the sheet they have up is like a curtain about to be pulled aside to reveal what we've all been waiting years to see.

Last Day at Union Station with Only One Platform by kotsy.in.toronto, on Flickr

Back