There was supposed to be another Pachter mural at Dundas, using a motif of repeating images of PCC streetcars to cover part of the tile wall (similar to College), but after they changed the fluorescent lights to a more white light from a really warm pink light, it was decided that they didn't need the mural (more likely a cost-cutting excercise).
Gerald Zeldin beat Charles Pachter to the punch when it comes to art installations featuring PCCs in Toronto subway stations, which is another reason why the art installation at Dundas is not installed.

Gerald Zeldin beat Charles Pachter to the punch when it comes to art installations featuring PCCs in Toronto subway stations, which is another reason why the art installation at Dundas is not installed.

Well it wasn't a contest, and I think lack of funds was the main culprit. I don't think there's a rule that there can be PCC art at only one station.

Toronto really does love its streetcars. They seem to be a common theme on murals in the city.

It would be awesome to see an LFLRV mural.

Attachments

• IMG_3807.jpg
    IMG_3807.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 1,827
Toronto is the only north american city to retain the majority of its streetcar network, and takes pride in that fact. To remove Toronto's streetcars would be to remove a major part of the cities identity.

Toronto is the only north american city to retain the majority of its streetcar network, and takes pride in that fact. To remove Toronto's streetcars would be to remove a major part of the cities identity.

Consider these numbers (2013):

CLRV: 195
ALRV: 52
Total streetcars: 247

Subway cars: 704
RT cars: 28

Total rail vehicles: 979

Number to grow with the addition of 204 new low-floor streetcars PLUS the optional 60. As well as the light rail vehicles for the Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard East LRT, and the Finch West LRT.

It's so nice to see that a new ceiling is included in the reno. I think back to the Museum Station 'reno' that spent millions on the platform only to spend $80 on a few cans of white paint to cover the unsightly pipes and hvac.

museumopening_8.jpg

via Torontoist

Attachments

• museumopening_8.jpg
    museumopening_8.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1,713
It more due to the break dusk from the TR as it would get up on top of it only to be blown out as trains enter the station.

I was glad the day they removed the celling in the stations after calling for their removals for years. It cost time and money to take down a section to do the require work and reinstall them again after the work is complete. Then there was that patch look during and after reinstalling the celling due to damage caused by the handling and cleaning it. Crews now can go in and due the work and not worry about interfering with other work or waiting for a time slot to bring in equipment to remove or install the celling.

The TR help TTC to save money once all the celling were removed.

I do agree the look of the celling is not nice and why a darker color is needed in the stations.

Whilst passing through Union Station subway concourse I heard something about a ceremony or public event on May 15th planned to mark the completion of work in the subway station. I noticed that the escalators to the University platform are partially installed and that most of the University platform now has the new wall tiles. Some of the floor now has tiles as well. At the entrance from Royal Bank Plaza there are turnstiles installed but not yet set up. Definitely getting close.

Actually the hideous figures that make me cringe are by John Boyle, but I'm not a big fan of the College murals either. I like the subject and context just not the execution.

I am surprised how long the late 70s/early 80s murals at Queen station (Eaton centre mural) and College station (hockey players) survived, without being permanently damaged by vandalism. They certainly used some rather durable paint there!

At this rate, these murals will probably eventually be declared heritage -- imagine these murals reaching 50, 75 and 100 years old and still looking in good shape with only minor touch-ups, even while the flooring and ceiling gets replaced with something fancier in future renos.

Last edited:
The New York Subway's City Hall Station is now "abandoned" and not used for revenue service.

img_95278.jpg

But kept up in a good state of repair.

Attachments

• img_95278.jpg
    img_95278.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 1,312
There's also the subway station in Brooklyn that is now the transit museum.

We have a really good transit museum too, you just have to drive around 1.5 hours into SW Ontario to visit ;)

They should extend the subway to the museum. It only makes sense that the transit museum connects to the subway system.

Of course, it should be underground. Southwestern Ontario deserves subways.

Back