From the start, the Square was intended to be surrounded by busy retail establishments. Touted as our version of Times Square, we shouldn't be surprised that it has turned out to be a design-free zone of walls covered with garish print and electronic advertising - however much something more imaginative had been hoped for.

A residential and office tower represents different values, and uses. Think of this one, by D+S, as an antidote to the horror vacui that the Square expresses.

i do think this building is unfitting and somewhat insulting. however, it should set a precedent and help expand the core north. i've always believed this area should have far more office space (quite frankly, i would not like to live next to yonge and dundas' ogre buildings and neon signs) and density. right across the street from this proposed building is a parking lot. there are also a few empty lots directly east on dundas.

Last edited:
From the start, the Square was intended to be surrounded by busy retail establishments. Touted as our version of Times Square, we shouldn't be surprised that it has turned out to be a design-free zone of walls covered with garish print and electronic advertising - however much something more imaginative had been hoped for.

A residential and office tower represents different values, and uses. Think of this one, by D+S, as an antidote to the horror vacui that the Square expresses.

The busy retail establishments, print and electronic advertising aren't the problem - the quality of the buildings (Metropolis, City TV headquarters) simply aren't good enough, even for glorified billboards. It's quite surprising they could screw up something that shouldn't be difficult to execute. The Torch/City TV headquarters isn't even really a giant billboard anymore.

This new tower by D+S isn't an antidote to anything - it's just another poorly thought-out building surrounding the square.

Last edited:
How politely it defers to the heritage buildings at 19 and 21 Dundas Square that have busier frontages - while still being a lovely big friggin' tower in its own right.

Here we go again. Jack-do-no-wrong-Diamond rings his bell and Pavlovian dog Shocker responds positively. You two should have a show.

ha ha! put me down (for the nth time in this thread) as thumbs down on this utterly uninspiring / bordering on ugly design. I do like that the heritage buildings (facades I suppose) will be maintained. But it appears to be moving ahead. I look forward to the added height enclosing in the south side of the square... where one will be able to sit and contemplate what might have been done differently.

I can forgive the design if the intention is that the large verticle blank walls are to be used for advertisements.

How politely it defers to the heritage buildings at 19 and 21 Dundas Square that have busier frontages - while still being a lovely big friggin' tower in its own right.

It doesn't really defer to anything given its size. And "lovely"? It's not a bad design overall, but it certainly isn't lovely. Giving the square a wall of precast was a bad decision.

Judging by the renderings and elevations it'll nestle in there to the south of 19 and 21 Dundas Square very nicely. The unadorned verticality of the tower is an especially generous feature considering the overwrought nature of the commercial dreck surrounding Square, which it so successfully plays off of. Bravo for D+S!

What happened to the first renders in post #1? I'll re-post some of it.

By Graziani + Corazza Architects:

highrise19main.jpg

highrise1903.jpg

Basically, D+S took it, ruining any sense of context, coherency, style, or class. The current design is utterly disgusting. Dundas Square in 20 years is only bound for even more disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
D+S is hillarious! Their work has become so terrible, (was it ever good?) I just cannot fathom how somebody who devotes their life to architecture can produce such crap.

I mean... Four Seasons and Corus Quay we're terrible, but they should have been brilliant. and what is that lump they're building at Varsity Stadium? Now this?

However, I also think the original design for this site is awful as well. I bet everyone on this board can design something nicer.

Back