If the entire block stretching to Sherbourne was redeveloped at a higher density + and a landmark destination (i.e. something like the Gardiner Museum) was established past Sherbourne, it could work.

But as of now, there's nothing drawing people past Yonge- retail here should probably aim to cater to the local neighborhood.

I think the retail on Bloor is more marketing-hype and a "draw" for buyers, trying to instill confidence about the location. I wouldn't read too far into it beyond that.

Although it's a decent idea to urbanize this stretch of Bloor, I'd also like if the retail portion were brought to Howard. And a strong effort made to mimic the storefronts along the west end of Howard. There are quite a few people walking along this stretch, and it'd create a nice bookend. Something about that pocket of Howard between Glen and Sherbourne is very NYC/Manhattan. If that could be copied and worked into the podium, hopefully in a brick-and-mortar style, I think it'd be a win.

Agreed, the Howard side of the podium should allow for street-level retail/services to animate the area a bit, and hopefully tie it in with the West end of Howard, otherwise it will be a dreary stretch; it's rather Steeles/Keele-ish currently, with no-man's land on 3 sides.

I wish the rounded tower was more expressive. It acts as a view terminus for cars coming over the viaduct and a gateway to downtown Toronto. It just seems so generic and plain. Like, even a slightly more dramatic crown (such as Ice has, for example)... Some flourish to make the building special. Right now it looks like the architect drew a shape, extruded it upwards, divided it into floors and called it a day. BORING

The top of both Via Bloor towers are wrapped by two storey penthouses which go all the way around the top of both buildings, each in their own way. The wraps effectively hide the mechanical penthouses… and it's not like we've never complained about ugly, poorly thought out mechanical penthouses sticking out up top on this forum.

To me, Ïce's skyline flourishes make lots of sense on the city's waterfront—they're possibly the best crowns in the city—but I'm not sure you need something quite so splashy here. I'm sure we'll be getting more detailed renderings soon, but what we've got already show that what's planned here is not just a simple extrusion.

VBloorSkyEve1280.jpg

Attachments

• VBloorSkyEve1280.jpg
    VBloorSkyEve1280.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,093
To me, Ïce's skyline flourishes make lots of sense on the city's waterfront—they're possibly the best crowns in the city—but I'm not sure you need something quite so splashy here.

Well, it might look nice from the Chester Hill Lookout, if nothing else.

I'll be happy if they just fix the road/cycle lanes on Bloor running past here!! I ride them daily, and they're horrific.

looks like something we would build in 2008...
well, this building was first proposed in 2010, so..

This stretch of Bloor is scheduled for reconstruction in 2019 I believe.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if that retail building is a placeholder for another rezoning in 10 years to put up another tower.

A new condo video we just posted on Tridel.com

Amenity renderings

whirlpool.jpg
east-lobby-01.jpg
east-lobby-04.jpg
gym-fitness-02.jpg
gym-fitness-05.jpg
party-01.jpg
west-lobby-02.jpg
whirlpool.jpg

Attachments

• east-lobby-01.jpg