A food hall is really just a food court by another name. It's re-branding to sound more upscale but the concept is the same. We did the same thing with the word 'cinema' in the 1990s. The industry pushed the term 'movie theatre' because it sounded more cultured and sophisticated. A theatre .... but for films. I'm used to the term 'movie theatre' now but when the term came out it sounded as silly/pretentious to me as 'land yacht' would be to describe a car.

Very good development though. King West has grown into a playground for affluent young people. My friend from away said it felt like Soho.
It is out version of Soho

looks like that intel noting Boxcar Social to replace the closure of Beatrice Society was correct.

Just to clarify this, Beatrice and Boxcar are the same group. They're essentially just changing up the operation in the space, but it's not a new tenant.

A food hall is really just a food court by another name. It's re-branding to sound more upscale but the concept is the same. We did the same thing with the word 'cinema' in the 1990s. The industry pushed the term 'movie theatre' because it sounded more cultured and sophisticated. A theatre .... but for films. I'm used to the term 'movie theatre' now but when the term came out it sounded as silly/pretentious to me as 'land yacht' would be to describe a car.

Very good development though. King West has grown into a playground for affluent young people. My friend from away said it felt like Soho.

It's not just a matter of branding. You're not going to see McDonalds, Tim Hortons and Subway at Waterworks. You also can't typically get alcohol in food courts. Additionally there's going to be various events and programming in the hall throughout the year.

Just to clarify this, Beatrice and Boxcar are the same group. They're essentially just changing up the operation in the space, but it's not a new tenant.

It's not just a matter of branding. You're not going to see McDonalds, Tim Hortons and Subway at Waterworks. You also can't typically get alcohol in food courts. Additionally there's going to be various events and programming in the hall throughout the year.
Im aware of this, if you look at my far earlier post. and it still will be a new tenant, as Boxcar will not go into the old Beatrice space, but rather in the food hall itself. so the lease is new, unless they worked out some swap deal.

Back