The problem I have with going so low on the height is this is really the heart of Toronto. Why should the area have such little density? I am trying to go for a more sophisticated look and with a more urban square concept, albeit with grass. Think Square St Louis not City Place. I think the red brick buildings should top out around 6s (average 4s to where the pitched roof begins) while the green building around 8s. I'm proposing a well-shaded square because it would provide relief from the open space around those towers in the park, the lowrise section of Yonge Street around the corner and the wide open Bay Street corridor.

Bay Street should be narrowed to 3 lanes of traffic with widen sidewalks planted with many trees and even some grass patches.

I sometimes wonder if people that live in this area really ought to move to the High Park area. Plenty of green space to relax yet it's urban enough with good density and mixed uses.

Last edited:
I wonder who truly owns that drop-off area there, if it is part of Morguard/Opera Place's property or was part of their property?

Opera Place and Morguard both own it. There is parking garage underneath the U driveway so I doubt the configuration could change.

The problem I have with going so low on the height is this is really the heart of Toronto. Why should the area have such little density? I am trying to go for a more sophisticated look and with a more urban square concept, albeit with grass. Think Square St Louis not City Place. I think the red brick buildings should top out around 6s (average 4s to where the pitched roof begins) while the green building around 8s. I'm proposing a well-shaded square because it would provide relief from the open space around those towers in the park, the lowrise section of Yonge Street around the corner and the wide open Bay Street corridor.

Next to no sun in a park? Then it's not much of a park so it should be developed. We need more greenspaces in this area of downtown, that's the whole point of this exercise.

Bay Street should be narrowed to 3 lanes of traffic with widen sidewalks planted with many trees and even some grass patches.

I think Yonge Street from Bloor to the lake needs wider sidewalks first but sure, and include separated bike lanes from top to bottom.

I sometimes wonder if people that live in this area really ought to move to my neck of the woods, aka near High Park. Plenty of green space to relax yet it's urban enough with good density and mixed uses.

Part of good urban planning and building livable cities includes parks. Toronto has lots of parks but this part of the city doesn't have that many especially when you compare density vs. available greenspace and this immediate area will easily double with residents in the next four or five years. I live in this area and with respect, I've lived here for well over 25 years and despite how nice it is out there I have absolutely no desire to live in the High Park area, I continue to be extremely happy, content and even passionate about the neighbourhood where I choose to live.

Part of good urban planning and building livable cities includes parks. Toronto has lots of parks but this part of the city doesn't have that many especially when you compare density vs. available greenspace and this immediate area will easily double with residents in the next four or five years.

I agree, but you are going to face a mentality that tends to focus exclusively on building density over all other factors. For some, "urban" is merely a word that references building height and quantity of units within, and not a holistic environment.

I agree, but you are going to face a mentality that tends to focus exclusively on building density over all other factors. For some, "urban" is merely a word that references building height and quantity of units within, and not a holistic environment.

Gee, you and your building density/heights, give it up already...in this boom its not going to happen

"FACTS: New York City has nearly twice as much green space per person at 23.1 metres squared per person compared to Toronto’s 12.6 meters squared per person."

---obviously those stats are heavily skewed by the fact of Central Park. On a block by block basis there isnt that much difference and Toronto may even be ahead when we talk strictly about small neighbourhood parks. New York's parks obviously have a longer history and are well planned and integrated into the city. Bryant Park is a great example of a very simple yet elegant space that integrates well with it's surroundings. Buildings face the park rather than turning their backs on it which we would have here. I think it is probably a similar size and style for what would fit here. I dont have any objection to more parks but simply plunking down a green space in an unsuitable/awkward spot is hardly a winning recipe.

I think it is probably a similar size and style for what would fit here. I dont have any objection to more parks but simply plunking down a green space in an unsuitable/awkward spot is hardly a winning recipe.

That was originally my thought too but I think it's quickly coming to a point of grabbing most any space, appropriate or not, and green it up before many downtown neighbourhoods literally run out of space or it becomes prohibitively expensive for the city to purchase. I'd rather have the parking lot space south of the Wellesley subway station entrance turned into a park, even though it's not as wide as 11 Wellesley W. I think it would fit into and serve the neighbourhood much better and also act as an extension to the parks north of there that run parallel to Yonge which also used to be parking lots above the subway lines. Again, just dreaming...

"FACTS: New York City has nearly twice as much green space per person at 23.1 metres squared per person compared to Toronto’s 12.6 meters squared per person."

I don't buy that unless you are including the rural parts of NYC as "greenspace".

---obviously those stats are heavily skewed by the fact of Central Park. On a block by block basis there isnt that much difference and Toronto may even be ahead when we talk strictly about small neighbourhood parks. New York's parks obviously have a longer history and are well planned and integrated into the city. Bryant Park is a great example of a very simple yet elegant space that integrates well with it's surroundings. Buildings face the park rather than turning their backs on it which we would have here. I think it is probably a similar size and style for what would fit here. I dont have any objection to more parks but simply plunking down a green space in an unsuitable/awkward spot is hardly a winning recipe.

Are we comparing apples to apples here, or like the density/GTA discussion, are we comparing different things? For instance, in the Toronto park count, are we counting Rouge Park, The Leslie Street Spit and all the land in our ravines? (all along the Don & Humber Rivers) Some aren't officially parks but it's still parkland or wilderness areas. I'm not saying that NYC doesn't have more parkland, I just wonder if it's counted in the same way, since the way in counting just about everything, seems to be different in the USA. (even something as straight-foreward as unemployment or the level of poverty)

Last edited:
Gee, you and your building density/heights, give it up already...in this boom its not going to happen

Nonsense.gif

Are we comparing apples to apples here, or like the density/GTA discussion, are we comparing different things? For instance, in the Toronto park count, are we counting Rouge Park, The Leslie Street Spit and all the land in our ravines? (all along the Don & Humber Rivers) Some aren't officially parks but it's still parkland or wilderness areas.

Parkland, green space, conservation lands whatever it's called it's used and enjoyed by the citizenry, so I think it should all be included.

I just wonder if it's counted in the same way, since the way in counting just about everything, seems to be different in the USA. (even something as straight-foreward as unemployment or the level of poverty)

We know why they do that.

I've got to thinking--I revised my proposal downwards to 4s--that the school & park really ought to be on the other side of Yonge Street, closer to the TTC entrance. I also think the school should embrace being in an urban area--aka the podium of a large tower.

As for this area? I still think 6-12s midrises would be ideal.

Hot off the boards...well the mass'n boreds anyway. :)

Revised to max at 4s at top & with generous cutouts to let in light:

nimbytectstlukesquaredv.png

The pitched roofs mimic the historic feel of the area with a modern twist. Rather than an urban park why not an urban square?

Community Centre + School + Day Care + artist studios + CRU/cafes/etc facing Wellesley + interior quad open to the Y across the street = St Luke Squared:

nimbytectstlukesquaredv.png

What do the nimbies think?

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting article of the empty lots on Wellesley street...

Community losing patience with vacant lots on Wellesley Street

Four vacant properties dot the otherwise vibrant 1.1 km stretch of Wellesley Street between Bay and Sherbourne.

"It's disheartening. I see [construction] cranes all over downtown yet nothing but empty lots in this neighbourhood," says Alan Fisher. "Either build something or tear down the fences and put in temporary green spaces or parking lots."

Not all residents are opposed to condos on the site. "We don't need another park there," says Jennifer Caldwell, who lives in a nearby condo. "We're a block away from Queen's Park. I'd rather the province gets market value for it and someone builds something that will bring life to the street."

More............http://www.globaltoronto.com/commun...ots+on+wellesley+street/6442717274/story.html

"We don't need another park there," says Jennifer Caldwell, who lives in a nearby condo. "We're a block away from Queen's Park. I'd rather the province gets market value for it and someone builds something that will bring life to the street."

Absolutely....this is the wrong place for another park....a plaza would be great though, imo, with a proper fountain, and with shops and restaurants lining the square......

Back