Show me where in the Canadian Constitution it says you're entitled to x amount of greenspace. Have you heard about the Yorkville library? Or the extensive greenspace between the Mac & Whitney blocks just on the other side of Bay Street? Or maybe y'all too lazy to cross Bay? Try the other side of Yonge St...green space everywhere!

Yes, there is institutional green space where you've noted.

This is about building a city for the long term, having a vision and actually attempting some urban planning for urban living.

I live in the area and would much prefer another green space then yet another highrise tower.

Just noticed this, somebody doesn't want condos...

nocondos01xx.jpg

nocondos02xx.jpg

FACTS: New York City has nearly twice as much green space per person at 23.1 metres squared per person compared to Toronto’s 12.6 meters squared per person.

Besides probably not being an accurate comparison, it has little to do with Manhattan. NYC has vast areas of green space, but located on the far flung reaches of the outer Boroughs. Unless you think it's practical for Manhattanites to walk their dog in Jamaica Bay? ha ha

Which brings up another "pet" peeve of mine....public green space as nothing more than glorified dog toilets (which I admit doesn't bother me as much as having you use my private property as your dog's toilet). Fencing off large areas of green space as "off leash" space for again...dogs???? Since when did dogs become so bloody important...did I miss something?

I am presenting evidence that, as far as I can tell, no one has disputed in this entire thread. I think my neighbourhood is getting the short end of the stick is all and I am "sticking up" for it.

No...you're just whining.

You complain of a lack of nearby park space or a library, when excellent examples of both are within close walking distance.

Not saying there isn't a case to be made for improved city amenities in the area....just that you are making a poor case for it.

FCG: No worries. I stand by my comments.

I will say that the province recognizes the value and importance in creating full communities - they are doing it in Regent Park and in the West Don Lands. But not here.

Which brings up another "pet" peeve of mine....public green space as nothing more than glorified dog toilets (which I admit doesn't bother me as much as having you use my private property as your dog's toilet). Fencing off large areas of green space as "off leash" space for again...dogs???? Since when did dogs become so bloody important...did I miss something?

Pets can bring enormous joy to people and improve quality of life. Living in a city we just have to learn to all share public spaces. Healthy dogs need to be well exercised and socialized, if you had a dog you'd understand. I don't use 'off leash' areas anymore, too many dog fights plus when I got talking to people years ago I found that some people "don't believe" in shots for their dogs, tick/flea treatments during the warmer months etc. so I thought screw that. My dog socializes with other dogs & people on our walks and she seems quite content with that.

Pets can bring enormous joy to people and improve quality of life.

I'm not begrudging your joy, I'm simply wondering why it has to come at the cost of my landscaping. You get the joy....I get the dead shrubbery and the crap you don't feel like picking up that came out of your bundle of joy's arse.

if you had a dog you'd understand.

I do understand...which is why I don't own a dog.

I will say that the province recognizes the value and importance in creating full communities - they are doing it in Regent Park and in the West Don Lands. But not here.

I'll grant you that the corner of Bay & Wellesley doesn't seem to be part of any recognized "community". It borders UofT, Yorkville Yonge/Village, but isn't really part of those communities. I don't think the "Bay Street Corridor" has become a community of itself. But you aren't complaining that this area doesn't have a sense of "community", you're saying it doesn't have access to any amenities, such as parks or libraries, which is of course, false.

Dismissing the Reference library within walking distance because it isn't your specific "neighbourhood" library is bizarre logic at best. Most people would find having the crown jewel of the Toronto library system as you local library would be an advantage.

I'm not begrudging your joy, I'm simply wondering why it has to come at the cost of my landscaping. You get the joy....I get the dead shrubbery and the crap you don't feel like picking up that came out of your bundle of joy's arse.

Responsible dog owners such as myself pickup after their dogs, and I responded referring to public parks, namely the one in the thread header, not your front yard.

Since when did dogs become so bloody important...did I miss something?

Since when did tennis players become so bloody important? I'm willing to bet there are far fewer tennis players than dog owners in the city, yet we happily set aside space in our parks that is completely dedicated to that one sport.

Parks serve the public, and a lot of the public has dogs. Seems pretty straightforward.

Parks serve the public, and a lot of the public has dogs. Seems pretty straightforward.

Apparently not that high.
http://thestar.blogs.com/maps/dog-ownership/

In areas with highest dog ownership, there are about 6 dogs for each 100 residents. As you can see from the map, none of the high areas is in downtown, which probably means there are 2-3 dogs for each 100 residents.

I love dogs. They are adorable. But I don't think it is all taxpayers' responsibility to pay for the parklands for them. I have no problem with dog owners pay for them though, since the rest 97% of Torontonians have no need for dog parks.

Back