Catholic Schools get public funding and we are here complaining about dogs using public parks. Sad day.

Yeah, I do begrudge taxpayers paying for religious education.

Education is a word I would hesitate to use in this setting. If they want their kids to be taught myths and legends as if they were facts, it should come out of their own pockets - not ours.
As for a park in this location, parks are built for people first, dogs are generally an afterthought. Nobody designs a park as a place for dogs to defecate, but even so, would you rather they went on the sidewalk and have it not picked up? I don't see why people are concerned about something as simple as a dog turd when discussing the possibility of a park.

So I've been thinking about this site again.:) Introducing Jane Jacobs Square, with the Jane Jacobs School for Urban Studies (Ryerson or a separate institute?) included for your benefit. If you hate change and colour, put on your blindfolds now.

nimbytectstjacobsquared.png

Nimbies you'll be getting a gorgeous square with patches of grass so your dogs can pee.... Insert a bunch of trees, a daycare for those into St Jacobsism and you're set to rock the future.

20121028185513.jpg

So the trump card--density disguised as a school (with residences) is something you just can't turn down.

You'll note how the Wellesley building overhangs St Luke Lane & a few historic buildings on Yonge Street. Weaving the new into the old is ... the future.

Last edited:
While I appreciate your contribution to this forum, that is utterly stupid. Why don't you try something that could actually have some semblance of reality.

I do think it's much better to get a park in here than another condo tower, we always need to get much green space inside the City and another reason is that there is others great proposal that the market need to sell to begin construction.

Last edited:
urbandreamer, you need to realize that buildings aren't designed by someone having a vision and imposing it on a location after creating a bunch of renderings. There are real considerations that need to be taken in to account depending on the site.

As for the park, I'm dying to know if it's going to happen. When will we hear if the city has decided to purchase it???

As for the park, I'm dying to know if it's going to happen. When will we hear if the city has decided to purchase it???

This is a yes at committee level.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.GM17.5

The Government Management Committee recommends that:

1. City Council request the City Manager and the Chief Corporate Officer, in consultation with the ward Councillor, to use the identified parkland reserve funds referred in the Confidential Attachment 1 to the report (October 2, 2012) from the Chief Corporate Officer to negotiate the acquisition of 11 Wellesley Street West, in part or in whole, from Infrastructure Ontario or subsequent owner for park purposes.

2. City Council direct the City Manager to petition the Ontario Minister of the Environment to accept the Class Environmental Assessment regarding the lands east of Bay Street on condition that it conducts further consultation with the City Councillor, the City Manager and other stakeholders.

3. City Council direct that the confidential information in Attachment 1 to the (October 2, 2012) from the Chief Corporate Officer report remain confidential as it contains information on a proposed land acquisition.

I know everything about the realities of this town. I've worked in construction pits before, I've participated in focus groups on the concept/design side of the equation, I've been staring at construction techniques across Canada for decades (I have lived beside construction sites more often than not.) I have renovated homes. I'm also an artist, an idea person. I've recently discovered some architects work exclusively with the conceptual side of things which is encouraging.

NimbyTect: Architect or artist? A mixture of both I hope.

I stay within the realms of reality but do not take Toronto conservatism to heart.

This is a yes at committee level.

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2012.GM17.5

The Government Management Committee recommends that:

1. City Council request the City Manager and the Chief Corporate Officer, in consultation with the ward Councillor, to use the identified parkland reserve funds referred in the Confidential Attachment 1 to the report (October 2, 2012) from the Chief Corporate Officer to negotiate the acquisition of 11 Wellesley Street West, in part or in whole, from Infrastructure Ontario or subsequent owner for park purposes.

2. City Council direct the City Manager to petition the Ontario Minister of the Environment to accept the Class Environmental Assessment regarding the lands east of Bay Street on condition that it conducts further consultation with the City Councillor, the City Manager and other stakeholders.

3. City Council direct that the confidential information in Attachment 1 to the (October 2, 2012) from the Chief Corporate Officer report remain confidential as it contains information on a proposed land acquisition.

City Council has passed this, 26-1 vote. Clr Del Grande was the lone dissenter.

I do think it's much better to get a park in here than another condo tower, we always need to get much green space inside the City and another reason is that there is others great proposal that the market need to sell to begin construction.

While I don't prefer another condo tower, I don't like the idea of just another boring green park with nothing but grass for dog walkers either.

Have a nice garden, some sculptures, fountains, benches, allow street performers to perform. Make it enjoyable, not just another "green space" for dog walkers, homeless and bored elderly folks. I would actully prefer a tower than just a park with nothing but grass. The former at least brings tax revenue.

Presuming the City acquires the lands of course there will be more than just grass, are there any parks that only just have grass? A park is a shared open space for everyone, dog walkers, homeless folks and bored elderly folks included.

Just to let everyone know developers signed a deal today to purchase the entirety of this plot of land for 2 new towers. At this point the only hopes of greenspace is if Wong-Tam negotiates a lease of 10-20% of the land from the developer. Another case of provincial government not listening to community members & trying to solve it's problems with easy money.

Back