I believe it's official. "Fox & Fiddle Coming Soon" sign is up at the retail space at bottom of N1/N2 building. I just the concern whether it will be a loud establishment has been addressed.

Is this facing Fort York Blvd?

Looks like Fox & Fiddle only wants to lease the space, not own it. Ownership is for sale, and they are advertising it as an already leased property.

I started a new thread in the Retail section so this thread can go back to Loblaws talk. Hopefully this convo gets moved there.

Ah, I suspected that is the case. So the restaurant may still happen after all.

I fear this thread is slowly fading away into the abyss..hopefully this power struggle between the city, the heritage buffs, and the developer can be settled and this project can proceed..:confused:

I fear this thread is slowly fading away into the abyss..hopefully this power struggle between the city, the heritage buffs, and the developer can be settled and this project can proceed..:confused:

Hopefully, it won't proceed in its current form so that the heritage warehouse can be spared the wrecking ball. In the end, if you want a city rich in design, beauty, and history, you don't want to lose buildings like this Art Deco warehouse.

Isn't the plan to rebuild the street facing facades? Ideally, I'd like to the entirety of the building re-purposed but it's been tried over and over again without any success. Any value beyond the crumbling facade is long gone as well.

Isn't the plan to rebuild the street facing facades? Ideally, I'd like to the entirety of the building re-purposed but it's been tried over and over again without any success. Any value beyond the crumbling facade is long gone as well.

That's demolishing the building and saving the facades. What did they try to do with it? It's been sitting empty for many years now. It's a big warehouse with a lot of space suitable for various purposes.

That's demolishing the building and saving the facades. What did they try to do with it? It's been sitting empty for many years now. It's a big warehouse with a lot of space suitable for various purposes.

Yeah, it is suitable for various purposes..but the people who own this half decent looking derilict building want it for a supermarket-retail/upper office space..now you suggest that they scrap their proposed plans and do an expensive retrofit, spend tons of cash to please a couple of individuals..please....I see, 1 freakin councillor, and a couple of herutage buffs losing a load of sleep over this proposal of keeping the facades, everyone else couldnt care less if it sits another 10 years the way it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I get anyone a low-res image?

LoblawsLakeShoreBathurst.jpg

It goes with this update courtesy of Councillor Adam Vaughan's newsletter:

On January 31, 2011, Councillor Vaughan hosted a community meeting regarding the site at the north-east corner of Bathurst and Lake Shore Blvd W. Loblaws plans to redevelop the site into a four-storey commercial/retail development that will include a two-storey grocery store with a Joe Fresh clothing store, additional Loblaws and food-related retail, and Loblaws office space.

Parking for the site would be accessed from Lake Shore Blvd to the west of the building, with a right-in, right-out only access point. There would also be parking access from Bathurst Street via Housey Street, located at the north side of the building. A total of 414 parking spaces would be provided at the north side of the building over four levels, located below the Gardiner Expressway. The loading dock for trucks would be in a fully enclosed portion of the building at the north part of the site. Bicycle parking would also be provided on site.

The corner of Bathurst and Lake Shore would be landscaped, and there would be an outdoor patio area associated with the grocery store on the west side of the building.

There were several questions about the preservation of the heritage designated building, which has many Art Deco features. The building was constructed in 1927 by Loblaws as a home for their offices, as well as distribution and warehousing. The building has been vacant since 2000. The facades have been reviewed by heritage, structural and geotechnical engineers, who found substantial deterioration in the building. Based on their analysis, Loblaws is proposing to dismantle and then rebuild the south, west and a portion of the east facades of the structure, but remove and replace the remaining portions of the building.

Scaffolding has been installed at the site after Loblaws was issued hoarding permits in December 2010. There is a projected 2-3 months of work on the interior of the building to remove garbage, contaminants, and non-structural demolition work. Depending on Heritage approvals, the building would be catalogued brick by brick, starting in March 2011, and then the building would be dismantled, with the bricks stored off-site. Construction of the building is projected to begin in February or March 2012, and would require 24 months to complete. Construction access for the site would be from Bathurst Street, from the north side of the site.
The store is projected to open in early 2014.

The Loblaws company is also planning to open several other stores in downtown Toronto over the coming months, including a No Frills store at Front St E and Ontario St in March or April 2011, and Loblaws stores at Queen and Portland and at Maple Leaf Gardens in October 2011.

Councillor Vaughan proposed the creation of a working group to provide detailed feedback to Loblaws as their plans advance. The working group should include residents and stakeholders immediately adjacent to the building. If you wish to participate on this working group, please e-mail Councillor_Vaughan@toronto.ca.

Last edited:

It's been sitting empty because they couldn't find a commercial tenant. The building needs massive upgrades. You can't expect someone to spend tens of millions to bring it up to standards to lease to whatever idyllic, bohemian low cost tenants you have in mind.

Back