thanks 42 for that update! I havent been following this thread too closely and as I read the previous comments I was thinking why dont they convert it to a grocery store. This proposal makes a lot of sense and will be a welcome addition for the thousands of new residents in the area I'm sure. It's unfortunate that they will have to demolish and rebuild but I think the plan to retain the south and west facades is a great compromise for all interested parties. Having this building repurposed and functioning again will do wonders for the overall feel of the area I'm sure. Can't wait...

LoblawsLakeShoreBathurst.jpg

What a great looking render! I'm really glad to see that progress is being made at the planning stages and that we'll finally see pedestrian activity at that corner, including the landscaped area in front of the building which I always thought had serious potential every time I walked by there.

I thank Loblaws for taking such care with this one - and with their work on Maple Leaf Gardens. There aren't a lot of companies who'd put this kind of money into "sentimental" projects - and expensive ones, at that.

Although there are quibbles about the historical veracity of this part and that, overall, I think it is a real blessing to have this restored and put back in operation. No towers sticking out the top, no single part of one facade stuck on here or there, no outright demolishment - forever.

This is a good project that will bring a lot of much-needed (and good looking) life to that corner. It's been a long time coming.

Looks like an application to demolish the interior has been filed with the city:

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 171350 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Apr 11, 2011

Project: Warehouse Interior Demolition

Description: This is for interior demolition to the 4 storey warehouse and the two below grade levels. This is for "LOBLAWS".

I always thought something like Queen's Quay Terminal would work well here, being a retail/social centre for this western part of the waterfront. But these plans do sound impressive. Glad to see Loblaws take such initiative in restoring a heritage property and bringing it to good modern usage.

Wow -- this is about the best we could hope for, given the condition of the building. Great job.

I thank Loblaws for taking such care with this one - and with their work on Maple Leaf Gardens.

And how sad is it that the entity doing the most for heritage preservation in this city is a grocery store.

I actually don't have much of a problem with this project. Unlike many of the other warehouses in this city, this one doesn't have any existing uses that will be displaced. It will also retain its proportions and its façade, by far the most interesting parts of the building. Finally, it will add a much-needed amenity to the neighbourhood. I wish that these heritage preservationists were more active in fighting the desecrations of some of the other beautiful warehouses in the city, like the addition on top of the Tip Top building that completely destroys its proportions.

Interesting that in the rendering that there is still a one-story structure under the Gardiner. I am assuming it would be parking...

I thank Loblaws for taking such care with this one - and with their work on Maple Leaf Gardens. There aren't a lot of companies who'd put this kind of money into "sentimental" projects - and expensive ones, at that.

Although there are quibbles about the historical veracity of this part and that, overall, I think it is a real blessing to have this restored and put back in operation. No towers sticking out the top, no single part of one facade stuck on here or there, no outright demolishment - forever.

Well stated, I couldn't agree more.

There is now a sign beside the loading door at Lakeshore/Bathurst for Carswell Construction Limited with a phone number for the Project Manager. It looks fairly new...it wasn't there in March when the hoarding went up (according to a video I found then).

Also, there was mention of a Loblaws in the Podium of the Yards of Fort York which is just across the street. Does anyone know why this was listed as being in the Podium there?

I noticed that sign for the first time today as well. I think it's brand new; I go by there often.

I haven't seen the Yards brochure -- does it say that the Loblaws is actually in the podium, or just that it will be nearby/in the neighbourhood? Pretty much all of the buildings in the area have listed a neighbourhood Loblaws in their brochures for years.

I haven't seen the Yards brochure -- does it say that the Loblaws is actually in the podium, or just that it will be nearby/in the neighbourhood? Pretty much all of the buildings in the area have listed a neighbourhood Loblaws in their brochures for years.

This is the article about the Loblaws in the Prodium: http://www.yourhome.ca/homes/reales...32--historic-fort-york-area-gets-modern-twist

The six-storey podium that anchors the tower at street level will feature both the townhomes and retail space, which will include a convenient Loblaw supermarket.

Back