News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Let's hope the final plan takes better advantage of the oddly shaped property than do these massing studies: follow the bend in the road here with an appropriate architectural response, and we could have a memorable building in an area that generally lacks them. Let's hope the bidders rise to the occasion here!

If Raymond Moriyama and Douglas Cardinal mated, their offspring is who I'd hire to design it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Douglas Cardinal! I do not hear his name often enough! I'll be whizzing by his Museum of Civilization tomorrow in fact, will breathe in it in passing... Has he worked since getting fired by the Smithsonian? I suppose I can look that up on Wikipedia...

I'll see some Moriyama across the river too - fab museum.

Their offspring would make quite the architect!

Last edited:
It seems that in the past week or two all of the parking ticket machines on the lot of the derelict Westwood theatre have been removed, and although the lot isn't fenced off, lately I haven't seen any cars parked there, which seems to indicate that the remaining businesses (a driving school and a martial arts studio) have left. A sign that demolition isn't far off, to make way for the new courthouse? I can't wait.

Actually, I read somewhere that the construction of the courthouse is to start late 2011!! Maybe the roadwork will commence before the courthouse construction

With today's budget I guess this is delayed until 2012. Too bad. I was really looking forward to the start of the Six Points neighbourhood reconfiguration which will likely also be delayed if no projects are scheduled for the area.

So goddamm typical of this city. EA's take forever, then design takes forever, then approval takes forever, then funding takes forever, then nothing happens forever, then there's a delay that could take forever. Oh and then, if we're lucky, someone at city hall will remember in x number of years that something major was planned here, and they might generate the minimal amount of inertia needed the bring it back to life - for a fresh study of course, because SO MUCH will have changed. I'm sick to death of it. This is one of the most important projects in the entire city, yet because it's out in good 'ol Etobicoke where apparently nobody cares if anything ever changes, it gets postponed indefinitely. And it doesn't help that the councillors in this part of the city have historically been useless, do-nothing dopes.

The frustration for me is endless. I give up.

So goddamm typical of this city. EA's take forever, then design takes forever, then approval takes forever, then funding takes forever, then nothing happens forever, then there's a delay that could take forever. Oh and then, if we're lucky, someone at city hall will remember in x number of years that something major was planned here, and they might generate the minimal amount of inertia needed the bring it back to life - for a fresh study of course, because SO MUCH will have changed. I'm sick to death of it. This is one of the most important projects in the entire city, yet because it's out in good 'ol Etobicoke where apparently nobody cares if anything ever changes, it gets postponed indefinitely. And it doesn't help that the councillors in this part of the city have historically been useless, do-nothing dopes.

The frustration for me is endless. I give up.

Definitely feel the same way, especially about transit in Toronto.

First phase of the development plans is finally shaping up. Staff report going to City Council at end of August to confirm real estate transaction with the Province for the courthouse. Province will build the first phase of the new road network to get rid of the Six Points interchangem remediate the lands, and as a virtual gift to the City will construct a new 400 space undergroung parking garage that will be located under the new Dundas Street. This means we development started as well as the infrastructure. Province to start construction on roads/service in 2011 and courthouse in 2012. Next key step is for the City to sell the next site to the YMCA for their rec centre, and secure the balance of the funds to finish the Six Points interchange demolition/realignment. Its all coming together. There will still be another 8 acres of City surplus lands for redevelopment available out of all of this. Thats how the infrastructure gets paid for.

Thanks for the info Mr. Milczyn, and welcome to the forum!

I like the idea of urbanizing the area but not the plan for reconstructing the Six Points interchange because the changes will mean that if you want to continue along Dundas, you'll have to make a few left turns because functional solutions like roundabouts were rejected.

I don't think there was any viable alternative that involved straight roads. A roundabout is very rare in Toronto, so it would be unwise to place one here and that also results in loss of land in the centre that could have been used for developments. So the only good solution was to reallign one of the 3 roads and Dundas was selected.

Thank you for the info Mr. Milczyn!

I don't think there was any viable alternative that involved straight roads. A roundabout is very rare in Toronto, so it would be unwise to place one here and that also results in loss of land in the centre that could have been used for developments. So the only good solution was to reallign one of the 3 roads and Dundas was selected.

Drivers would familiarize themselves taking it slowly and cautiously at first. The loss of land would be marginal and could be used for some art that would enhance the area.

I like the idea of urbanizing the area but not the plan for reconstructing the Six Points interchange because the changes will mean that if you want to continue along Dundas, you'll have to make a few left turns because functional solutions like roundabouts were rejected.

You will go straight to stay on both Bloor and Kipling, you will turn once to stay on Dundas, one right turn heading eastward or one left turn heading westward.

You will go straight to stay on both Bloor and Kipling, you will turn once to stay on Dundas, one right turn heading eastward or one left turn heading westward.

I appreciate the clarification; however the new jog in Dundas still seems regrettable.

Back