^^ Unfortunately some people think every single part of Toronto needs to be a loud, retail-oriented consumption district.

This area could, however, use a little more mixed-use. But I feel like most UTers would turn this area into something that I have no desire to see there.

^^ Unfortunately some people think every single part of Toronto needs to be a loud, retail-oriented consumption district.

This area could, however, use a little more mixed-use. But I feel like most UTers would turn this area into something that I have no desire to see there.

Significant areas of dead streets doesn't make for a great downtown. It doesn't have to loud, but there should be lots of sidewalk activity throughout the day to insure that the streets function to their highest potential. We've already got enough dull grey zones where nothing except housing happens in suburbia.

For one ... this isn't suburbia. The streets should see some benefit from the increase population density as well. I'm not convinced either that plopping service retail would have much if any impact on the community function ... assuming the space even gets lease.

Yes, every single district in the core should have retail, services, parks, culture, art, and all the other great things that make urban life, urban. People should not be forced to have to own cars, they should have all the basics, like a variety store, bank and restaurants, close by. Most importantly, every single district, should be animated and give something back to the city. I don't want dead zones in downtown Toronto. I want neighbourhoods that are interesting, animated, lively, feel safe and that contribute to making this city a great place to live.

All my favorite cities are like that. (London, Paris, NYC, Hong Kong, Bangkok) There are few dead zones in the central core of any of those cities. That's what makes them so interesting to explore. You can walk for miles in the central core of Paris and you'll always be near stores, cafes, restaurants, people and all kinds of fascinating things. I'm not saying Toronto should or could be like any of those cities. I'm just saying the urban planning principles of those cities, are the ones that work for me and that's the direction I want DOWNTOWN Toronto to go. Building whole districts with only residential and nothing for anyone else, is selfish and just really bad planning. It's also bad for the environment. Aren't we supposed to be encouraging people to get rid of their cars, once they move into the core? Sheesh, I thought that was a given.

Having retail, helps the city in many different ways but most importantly, it puts eyes on the streets and makes a street feel much safer. I know women who will not walk on quiet streets at night. They stick to the main streets that are most animated because that's where the people are. People = perceived safety. I remember walking once in NYC and having a panic attack when I realized I was all alone on a quiet street. I looked all around for a street with stores and people because I did not feel safe at all. The same thing happened while walking around Chicago and some guy approached me for money, in a very threatening way. Nobody was around and I was scared shitless.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I want a 24/7 thriving city and I think we are quickly headed that way. I just want to encourage that.

I'll open myself up to some baching and by way of full disclosure, I have purchased a unit in Phase II that I no longer plan on moving into (due to the bulding delays - not for any other reason) but I actually kind of like the townhouses... I agree that they are a little different and can compleely see how some folks would not like them but compared to some of the other townhouse developments in the area, I think they look kind of funky... I can picture then in 5-7 years with a few trees growing around them and think they will look OK. I personally like them more than the towhouses next to 35 Mariner Terrace and in the King West Village area... Especially keeping in mind that these are not supposed to be super high end luxury units with lots of money being thrown in to the design. I think they have a fairly clean and somewhat modern look that works for the area... Not trying to be a cheerleader for them - just offering my balanced opinion...

Yeah, I agree. The townhouses are a pleasant surprise on this otherwise disappointing development. I posted a couple weeks ago about he retrograde interior design of the common areas, and was duly bashed by members for being a cheerleader of sorts for the "cicconne simone" brand of interiors....But this project is one that has NOT lived up to its hype. I assisted two purchasers in the selection of their interior finishes, and the quality and variety of choices were poor. They eventually allowed some custom upgrading via certain suppliers, which in my opinion salvaged the two units.

Last edited:
everytime I drive by, there seems to be quite a bit of sidewalk activity. No complaints about all the fit ladies running by!

I live in the area and I hardly ever use my car. What I need is within walking distance or an easy streetcar trip. And I think that as the area develops -- and it will -- there will be additional retail, and heck, even a library when that new condo is built, which means I won't have to use the bookmobile :)

A few pictures from late July of Phase 1 and Phase 2... The garden shot is the still under construction courtyard for Phase 1 while the shot of the builder is the construction crew working on the Phase 3 sales centre. You can see some details of the townhouses as well as the street north of the two towers.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpg
    IMG_2988.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_2992.jpg
    IMG_2992.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_2980.jpg
    IMG_2980.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_2981.jpg
    IMG_2981.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_3015.jpg
    IMG_3015.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_3000.jpg
    IMG_3000.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
great series of pics showing off the townhouses and back side of the development. It really does look quite attractive and well laid out!

Where are the rustic wooden poles and mass of over-head electrical wires? I thought those were mandatory in all Toronto neighborhoods. We have to maintain our distinctive third world look or how will people know it's Toronto. What a pity!

i like the third world feel toronto has, you know with all the busted utility poles, people walking not driving, and of course all the immigrants.

Third wold Chic!!] Itz gonna be the rage in france i tellyuh!!

sany2166.jpg

Phase three is on its way:

WHarbourCity3.jpg

Design, like the earlier phases, by Quadrangle Architects.

Back