8th Floor has been installed and I think it’s officially topped off!
IMG_2228.jpeg
IMG_2230.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpeg

Spandrel spectaculaire

Zero retail space is the real problem here. Especially since this lot used to be commercial (a Dairy Queen).

The local City Councillor is to blame for that.

City Hall still believes that people should live in one area, and shop in a different area so no one complains about smells and sounds.

Just look at Pier 8’s development…
As far as I can tell, there is next to no retail/commercial planned for the residential blocks, just the 1990’s retirement community-style shops the city is actively building (albeit incredibly slowwwlllyy) next door at Piers 5-7.

Zero retail space is the real problem here. Especially since this lot used to be commercial (a Dairy Queen).

City Hall still believes that people should live in one area, and shop in a different area so no one complains about smells and sounds.

As far as I can tell, there is next to no retail/commercial planned for the residential blocks, just the 1990’s retirement community-style shops the city is actively building (albeit incredibly slowwwlllyy) next door at Piers 5-7.
I mean it can be both. Spandrel trash windows and lack of commercial. i already lamented the lack of commercial previously.

Pier 8 does have retail planned, mostly along the western edge, but one or two as well within. There should be far more commercial planned though, especially along the actual waterfront. Let me find the site plans back.

Edit: see my post there: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...7m-45s-cityzen-omar-gandhi.28466/post-1974149

Last edited:

This seems to be changing with other proposals, so it’s okay in my books. Not every project here on Main W is going to be able to justify retail this early on. In retrospect it will certainly be seen as a missed opportunity, and the city is certainly to blame, but I think we can get over it. The Dairy Queen was still doing less for the street than this will.

Back