The fencing is down, and the sidewalk looks back open. Just in time for the development beside to close everything down:
1000005709.jpg

Those brick seams look awful. Brick should not feel like I am playing dominoes when I look at it.

Yeah the first floor balconies on such a busy street.. it just feels.. off..

at least the brick looks ok from far away - almost looks like marble tile

I used to be concerned when buildings had no retail on the ground level until I started seeing residential units being converted to retail after they were built. All it takes is a stroke of a pen and you have a change of use! And grass in front can easily be turned into a patio with pavers or an extension of retail to the sidewalk.

I honestly would be scared to sit on a patio for a restaurant along this strip THAT close to THIS road..

I used to be concerned when buildings had no retail on the ground level until I started seeing residential units being converted to retail after they were built. All it takes is a stroke of a pen and you have a change of use! And grass in front can easily be turned into a patio with pavers or an extension of retail to the sidewalk.
Has this happened in Toronto? I guess they could be made into commercial in the future, and I thinkkkk this developer mentioned that the units were made with that thought in mind.

I don't see it as likely in the next 20 years in Hamilton though since any owner would have to buy the unit, only to significantly increase property taxes, reduce unit value, just to have a tiny retail unit not even big enough for a cafe I don't think.

Would love to see the architectural documents for this one. I can't seem to find them. Was also curious how much parking there is.

It has happened with increasing frequency in Toronto and is starting to pop up elsewhere. Of course it entirely depends on the location. As for desirability, the property tax goes up because the rent commanded goes up dramatically.

It has happened with increasing frequency in Toronto and is starting to pop up elsewhere. Of course it entirely depends on the location. As for desirability, the property tax goes up because the rent commanded goes up dramatically.
Property tax is actually tied to land use, and commercial property tax is far higher than residential property tax on the same property. It does depend on location, but from what I've seen commercial leases are typically cheaper per square foot than residential in Hamilton. I actually think that might be the case in Toronto as well dependent on location.

I just think especially in Hamilton, switching from res to commercial is going to be incredibly niche.

Back