hehe what can possibly change ? :) Clearly it looks nothing like the rendering about less the shape. The rendering suggests wall to wall glass.

But again, like I mentioned above, the other side of the building uses lighter spandral and doesn't look half as bad (think 300 front ... the ugly part).

I always thought the purpose of Spandrel Glass was to create a flowing, continuous wall of glass? This has the total opposite effect. I watched the early phases and was impressed with the progress until that glass started getting installed. From a distance the spandrel doesn't even look reflective. It's not until you see a reflection of a cloud or crane that you can tell it's glass.

I guess we'll have to judge in more on it's contribution to the urban environment than it's contribution to the Thornhill Skyline.

Last edited:
I know we can't rely on renders all the time, but whatever happened to this..

worldonyonge1.jpg

Once the project is more built out, I will drop by again and take some more detailed photos. Maybe, just maybe we will be surprised by the final result? I doubt it though - it already seems like a write off.

A lot of buildings have added spandrel to comply with LEED - reducing the vision glass and the solar gain or heat loss though those windows.
The question is what colour are the window coverings?

A lot of buildings have added spandrel to comply with LEED - reducing the vision glass and the solar gain or heat loss though those windows.
The question is what colour are the window coverings?

I hear this comment quite a lot but part of it is hard to believe:

Many gold rated office complexes still have wall to wall windows ! How do they still meet the requirement ? Also I don't believe this building is meeting any LEED certification.

Taken today. I decided to pay another visit to World on Spandrel today. Here is the latest...

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-1-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-2-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-3-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-4.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-5-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-6.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-7-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-8-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-9-960x642.jpg

WORLD-ON-YONGE-22-09-2012-10-960x642.jpg

In conclusion...
sa11.jpg

Last edited:
If the spandrel were more reflective instead of flat grey, it would be much improved aesthetically though birds may start crashing into it.

The office is hideous ... most suburban offices look decent ... nothing special ... but most employ seemingly nice glass, generally fairly dark ... the above is even worse in person btw.

Why is this so terrible? Are we hating on spandrel for the sake of it?

We're hating on it when it's used un-creatively and in place of architecturally considered solutions.

Why would one design a building that has to PRETEND to be fully clad in glass but is in fact largely spandrel? There are plenty of different materials one can clad a building in that are ultimately just as attractive and interesting (or even more-so!) than just glass/spandrel/window-wall.

Back