You don't like being sandwiched steveve?

X has indeed changed the feel of this area to some degree. The big changes will come once this intersection is calmed, Jarvis Street's lanes reduced, when Couture and X2 are occupied and once the retail opens in X2. If all goes ahead as planned this will be a much better area than it was in the past. The hydro building's property next to X2 really needs some attention to the landscaping.

A line of lights on the west side of the Gernstein Centre, adjacent to the driveway from Charles East, have just been installed and working.

Last edited:
Right you are!... Its really cool how the whole area just changed! I mean,. this area was empty till X came in.. And now we're getting Couture and X2! Crazy stuff!... If i were living at X i would feel "sandwiched" in by all this construction!...

Recently spoke with someone involved in working on the interiors of X and the understanding is that they will be doing an outstanding job on interiors and exteriors as buyers of Bloor 1 will be directed to X to showcase an example of Great Gulf's work (Cecconi Simone is doing the interior design of both buildings as well as Janet Rosenberg, who will be coordinating the landscaping for both). No wonder other buildings are trying to get close to X; they want some of its brilliance to shine on them!

Last edited:
A line of lights on the west side of the Gernstein Centre, adjacent to the driveway from Charles East, have just been installed and working.

I saw those this afternoon, they're very high tech. looking but they obviously weren't lit. It'll be handy once they get that laneway paved and open as a shortcut to Hayden Street.

Just Beautiful...gives me chills...the only thing I do not get is the decision to put those orange panels on the podium...they were also on the model. I find them distracting.

X has indeed changed the feel of this area to some degree. The big changes will come once this intersection is calmed, Jarvis Street's lanes reduced, when Couture and X2 are occupied and once the retail opens in X2. If all goes ahead as planned this will be a much better area than it was in the past. The hydro building's property next to X2 really needs some attention to the landscaping.

I'm hoping we'll see some new retail/shops/restaurants around that intersection! It's quite dead especially with the Rogers building next door... And like you said! Condos have really jump started redevelopments/improvements of areas! :D

I think the only retail in the immediate area is in X2 plus what exists already at 235 Bloor E. I don't recall any mention of retail at Couture.

I love the orange on the base myself. THanks for the photo update. I wish I could live in this building!

March 31 2010 update

West Elevation - truly ugly rooftop mechanical unit
Click to Enlarge

X has indeed changed the feel of this area to some degree. The big changes will come once this intersection is calmed, Jarvis Street's lanes reduced, when Couture and X2 are occupied and once the retail opens in X2. .

Not to mention, X looks fantastic when you're heading down the DVP approaching Bloor. It looks very prominent. Any buildings that are built nearby will also have an impressive impact on the skyline as you approach from the DVP.

truly ugly rooftop mechanical unit

incredible how a mechanical box can turn a mies-esque masterpiece into a lego block.
was that ugly box in the renders?

incredible how a mechanical box can turn a mies-esque masterpiece into a lego block.

lawsond ... the rooftop mechanical was not supposed to be this ugly based on the original rendering (note continous glass at the top, being a mechanical floor rather than residential floor):

architecture_rend.jpg

compare the rendering with what got built:

Click to Enlarge

now that I revisit this, so it appears the rooftop mechanical floor was originally suppose to get a glass lantern treatment which was discussed previously in this thread ... in fact, Traynor's previous mock-up would be similar to what X Condo's top should have looked like ~ Great Gulf / aA truly outdone themselves in ruining a perfectly good Mies-inspired design ... SIGH :(

I know it is a moot point but it should have looked like this:
4384669608_80e1a37114_o.jpg

(Original courtesy Casaguy)

Mechanical Box on X

It is indeed a "how could they" barnacle on an otherwise beautiful building. Two ideas:

1. How much would it cost to add this lantern box business? If there are 450 units, and it cost a million dollars, that would be a reasonable $2k per unit, something that the owners could vote to do later with an assessment. Never seen that done before and wondering if it's technically possible to add something like that after the fact.

2. Could it be mirrored? That would make it practically disappear from view. Probably wouldn't need any more cleaning than ordinary windows.

Back