The north and west sides today. The building is now complete to the 21st floor, almost halfway there.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

thank-you for your amazing pics!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im wit y'all on tis won. grammer is jimmy key and spelling is impotent.

Moving on, I had a chance to walk by X the other day and felt that it was just as striking in person as it is in the photos/renders. I was left with the impression that it will dominate this cluster of mid-high rises and really transform the top of Jarvis Street in a way that not only adds density but also a redefinition.

X will do so much to undo some of the perceived damage caused by the huge Rogers complex across the street. Say what you will about the Rogers complex but it certainly does not do anything to greet the pedestrian. Rather, the skywalk over Mt. Pleasant clearly reminds us that cyclists and pedestrians are not welcome on Jarvis and that cars rule. X should meet the street nicely, add definition and create a sense of playfulness with street. It also will enhance Charles Street which, up until Jarvis, is a lovely node that seems to just fall apart. Overall, X should do as much for the ground level as it does for the skyline. I'm pumped up about it.

I'm assuming you're trying to be ironic here. ;)

I am in agreement with CSW2424, X is quite striking. The building is a fine addition to the street. If anything, the contrast between Rogers and this structure will highlight the qualities of its clean design qualities.

Man, you be jivin! Dat be stone cold, yo!

X should meet the street nicely, add definition and create a sense of playfulness with street. It also will enhance Charles Street which, up until Jarvis, is a lovely node that seems to just fall apart. Overall, X should do as much for the ground level as it does for the skyline. I'm pumped up about it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Charles ends at Jarvis, so how does it fall apart? Do you mean the way it connects to Jarvis? I agree though, at that point the whole Jarvis/Mt. Pleasant node is all about cars, with the multi-lane intersection and little pedestrian traffic.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Charles ends at Jarvis, so how does it fall apart? Do you mean the way it connects to Jarvis? I agree though, at that point the whole Jarvis/Mt. Pleasant node is all about cars, with the multi-lane intersection and little pedestrian traffic.

As I interpret that statement, Charles east and west is a great secondary street, but it is somewhat problematic between Church and Jarvis Streets. That's my opinion and I suspect what CSW may have been implying.

As I interpret that statement, Charles east and west is a great secondary street, but it is somewhat problematic between Church and Jarvis Streets. That's my opinion and I suspect what CSW may have been implying.

Thanks for clarifying DT, that's pretty much what I meant. Charles street is one of the finer examples of a secondary street in the downtown core, in my opinion. However, the short segment at Jarvis where it begins (or ends) is missing those elements that creates a great street. X will do a lot to fill in those missing peices but there is also the south side of the street (pizza pizza building) that detracts.

My bottom line for being excited about a new building is linked as much (or more) to its treatment to the street level as it is to the enhancement to the skyline. While I appreciate the often heard comment that taller is better I tend to disagree. X is shaping up to enhance both of its frontages at the street level without apologizing for its style, height or imposition. Indeed, these three things are what makes X such a beauty. If that makes any sense....

Makes sense to me, and I agree too.
Sorry to interpret your statement, I realized I should have simply waited for you to respond yourself after I posted and re-read my response and not have attempted to respond on your behalf. I won't do that again, it was inappropriate. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the clarification. Charles street is fantastic in the summer, with the big leafy trees and everything. Hopefully they will replant whatever trees they had to take out for X to be built. The Pizza Pizza building does detract from the street-scape, but so does that condo building on the south-east side of Charles and Church, which looks like an office building. It just doesn't fit, and not because of the height either.

The Pizza Pizza building does detract from the street-scape, but so does that condo building on the south-east side of Charles and Church, which looks like an office building. It just doesn't fit, and not because of the height either.

And right next door there's a pointy little PoMo disaster too.

July 6th and 8th Update

I'm not commenting on nuthin' in this post re: "X" except that the two photos below are from the same position on Monday July 6th and Wednesday July 8th, respectively -

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The south and west sides on July 8th, respectively -

The west side of the town's brickwork, July 8th -

Last edited:
And right next door there's a pointy little PoMo disaster too.

That's actually a not-bad co-op building whose only "disaster" is the fact that it's not fashionable to like pointy PoMo, even when it isn't overtly "retro"...

Back